90 Suspension - Again

s2hotdog

Right

I'm about to fit a H14 pto winch on to the front of my 90

I have designed and have/had fabricated a purpose made bumper and drilled a hole through the front cross member for the drive shaft to pass through to keep the bumper as high and as far back as possible

In all its around 50 odd kg I would think - so I'm thinking that I need to upgrade springs etc

I have been reading Steve G's interesting and informative post here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...opid=52057&

Although I don't want to use the softer and lower rated RR springs

Another complication is that I have fairly new Koni rought track shocks on the back axle that I want to keep

So I am thinking getting the brit partsprings DA4202 and 4203 they appear to lift by 40mm

I am aware that these are not as good as OME - but they are out of my price range for my toy that sits in my garage for most of the time

I'm not that keen on any futher lift than this mainly due to COG and prop shaft problems etc

My questions are

Should I buy the above springs

1. Will I be able to use the koni shocks using the standard shock mounting?

1.1 Use the shocks if I bolt on a bracket to lower the top shock fixing

2. I have been impressed with the koni and thinking of a pair for the front axle

2.1 Could these be used on the front axle ?

2.2 I'm going to replace the front turrets so will I need - 1" replacement turrets for these shocks

I've been racking my brain this weekend and I hav'nt been abe to find much info on the koni - so anybody know much about them? althoug I'm going to have a chat with the supplier tomorrow

BTW this is only my toy I use it for RTV's and may move on to soft challange events but not much more than that at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

Steve FWIW I have noted some comments re your post in the test you put................

Nige

Right

I'm about to fit a H14 pto winch on to the front of my 90

Top man, obviously you couldn't stretch the budget to a proper winch - an electric one :hysterical:

I have designed and have/had fabricated a purpose made bumper and drilled a hole through the front cross member for the drive shaft to pass through to keep the bumper as high and as far back as possible

In all its around 50 odd kg I would think - so I'm thinking that I need to upgrade springs etc

Most likely, can you advise what the colours are on the spring now, and the height at a convenitn point before fitting an after fitting ? - ie how much it drops ?

I have been reading Steve G's interesting and informative post here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...opid=52057&

Although I don't want to use the softer and lower rated RR springs

See above, its what you have know as a starting point thats key....................

Another complication is that I have fairly new Koni rought track shocks on the back axle that I want to keep

OK

So I am thinking getting the brit partsprings DA4202 and 4203 they appear to lift by 40mm

I am aware that these are not as good as OME - but they are out of my price range for my toy that sits in my garage for most of the time

I'm not that keen on any futher lift than this mainly due to COG and prop shaft problems etc

My questions are

Should I buy the above springs

No, they are C**P IMHO and a few quid more will get you the RIGHT spings for your 90 vs a cheap as chips one size fits all S**TPart variable quality springs :lol:

Unsure, depends on the lift etc

EH ?

2. I have been impressed with the koni and thinking of a pair for the front axle

They are good

EH ? are these loop pin or pin pin ?

2.2 I'm going to replace the front turrets so will I need - 1" replacement turrets for these shocks

Depends on what you fit

I've been racking my brain this weekend and I hav'nt been abe to find much info on the koni - so anybody know much about them? althoug I'm going to have a chat with the supplier tomorrow

BTW this is only my toy I use it for RTV's and may move on to soft challange events but not much more than that at the moment.

Post up the info before you rush and buy anything

Nige

Cheers

Steve

Dont bother paying £50 for those awfull britpart yellow springs when you can get a Genuine Parts spring that is the same rate and length for £12 each, I'll dig out the part number if you're interested

Lewis :)

Nige

Thanks for the reply

Will have a look at the front springs - think they are rusted though and paint marks have gone assumed they are standard van type. Will measure before and after and post hopefully later this week.

Britpart springs are s**t - OK

Lewis

I have been looking here

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

If you have any further info I'd be interested

Cheers

Steve

Nige and everybody else

Just to clarify after reading my and your post again

I want to reuse my existing rear koni's with dropped rear shock top mounts

I will need to replace the front axle shocks and thinking of buying a set of new Koni's

Cheers

Steve

I'm interested to see what spring Lewis suggests for the rear of your 90 from the stock LR range. When I looked there wasn't an OME equivalent from the LR range.

By the way, I assume that if you buy one of these £12 springs you'll want to make sure that it's genuine and not a pattern part.

When I inherited the hybrid it had britpart springs on and they were fine. I'm running britpart springs front and rear on the 90 and again no problems so far. Obviously they are not all s**t or maybe they self destruct after a certain period of time. I was buying a large amount of parts at the time for the 90 and spending £100 on 4 springs vs £240+ for a set of OME springs also made me think about and I opted for cheaper Britpart. I may regret this over time, but for now I'll keep the Britpart springs and fit oME if I have a problem.

In response to your shock questions...

Yes, but your travel in the shock will be reduced by the amount of lift in your new springs.

Yes you can do this. Lowered shock mounts were designed for this. Downside to using them is that you will have less upward travel and need to make sure that your shocks do not 'top out' on upward travel as this will knacker them over time. These mounts will cost you over £100, so it may be a better solution to fit 4 new +2" shocks and sell your existing rear koni's

Yes, they do a pin pin version and even the wider raid versions fit inside the coil springs ok.

See answer to 1.1 for lowered shock mounts. Are you having to replace turret as stock is rusted?

Cheers

Steve

I'm interested to see what spring Lewis suggests for the rear of your 90 from the stock LR range. When I looked there wasn't an OME equivalent from the LR range.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry, didnt make it clear - the genuine parts ones that are almost exactly the same as the Britpart "lift" springs are fronts, i.e. they are the same as the britpart fronts.

IIRC they are red/blue, NRC9448, 15.31 inches, 225lbs/inch

Britpart are the same length and 230lbs/inch I think, either way the above gen parts springs in combination with Britpart crappy rear lift springs on a 90 result in the same height all round

Lewis :)

Nige and any others interested

Fitted winch and bumper last night - tight fit but on and bolted in position

Weigh it prior to fitting - a wapping 69kg without plasma or oil so another couple of kg to add i would of thought

Unfortunatly the existing springs have no markings as fairly elderly

The front has dropped 19 mm 3/4" in old money

So over to you

Steve