Now includes the ME so I'll introduce myself

NegevLandRover

Actually I probably should have put in an appearance earlier as I was born and raised in Kenya and spent most of my youth travelling around Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia in LRs and Toyotas.

Now I live in Israel and earn a living running desert adventure tours.

Was last in Kenya a year ago and did a couple of longish out of the way safaris with the wife and kids.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I qualify as the ME mod, as I spent 18months in Saudi working for what was British Aircraft Corporation servicing Lightnings. I don't know what was the worst, the bloody aeroplane or the climate or the people or the no booze. If there had been a beer occasionally I might have made it to the end of the 2-year contract. Coming to ZA on holiday did it for me. I decided sanity was more important than money.

(LR content) The SAAF (Saudi.., not South African) had 2.25 clapped out LR diesels. I had never driven one before, only petrols in the RAF at the time, and found it amazing that given the whole length of the runway at Tabuk it could get up to only 70kph. Due to the Arab boycott of LR, no spares were available, so we used to buy LR piston rings in the UK and put them in other boxes. Not Fraud, they were also boycotted. Had to cut the labels off my Marks and Sparks underwear as well. The funny thing was I used to buy ladies underwear im M&S for some of the arab officers. I presume their wives or porcupines would wear it :)

I still have a 'certificate of religion' to prove I am not Jewish. I had trouble getting it from the RAF padre (I was still 'in' when I got the Saudi job) as I had not been confirmed. I had to threaten him with higher authorities (here on earth) before he gave it to me.

Small things... I had a Yamaha dirt bike, only a 125, and used to go to work across the desert. The cops would set up road blocks to test for roadworthy (the horn had to work) and I would join most of the cars and trucks going through the desert behind their backs, though actually only about 200m away. They would ignore us.

The only fun we had was doing full power reheat ground runs at the same time as the outside cinema to annoy the rest of the guys. Also going down the Hejaz railway line and finding a Turkish fort, and a bullet-riddled tender. We found a Turkish uniform button and a few empty cartridge cases there. It became impossible to get permission to leave the road after a while. With Israel just up the road the ragheads were a bit twitchy. For that reason they never based any aircraft at Tabuk as Tel Aviv was about 5mins away by Mirage. Dunno why I'm writing all this stuff :P

Nadim,

I thought you were in Lebanon? Do you know any of the Team Saluki clan there, Mark, Tim, Dave, Streaky, Ian, Gordon etc. ? Mark and Tim will be in the Desert Challenge in about 3 weeks.

Spent some time keeping tankers running for Caltex arround the SA coast many years back if that counts?

I take it you mean Saudi Arabia, not South Australia or South Africa? :)

I used to look at the tankers out in the gulf and wish I were on one. My favourite song was "leaving on a jet plane" :ph34r:

That was the trouble with working at Dhahran: watching all the planes taking off for civilisation while you stayed on the ground counting the days... (and your money)

I take it you mean Saudi Arabia, not South Australia or South Africa? :)

I used to look at the tankers out in the gulf and wish I were on one. My favourite song was "leaving on a jet plane" :ph34r:

That was the trouble with working at Dhahran: watching all the planes taking off for civilisation while you stayed on the ground counting the days... (and your money)

Oh no, very much South Africa. Great time running round the coast from Walvis Bay on the west to Lourenco Marques on the east. Most we did was four days at sea and you could spend days in port, great in places like Port Elizabeth with the beach only the other side of the jetty.

We did have a static tanker up in the gulf but that was not a tour to be welcomed (though sitting on 15,000 tons of aviation gas with a pump room fire isn't something I'd like to repeat either).

I also like PE a lot, though I haven't been there in years. I should have guessed you meant South Africa from your use of 'Caltex', but as you were in a tanker I presumed you were in the Gulf.

I think here all the refineries are at Durban, so the fuel has to be transported to other centres? At least I can't remember seeing a refinery anywhere else.

I also like PE a lot, though I haven't been there in years. I should have guessed you meant South Africa from your use of 'Caltex', but as you were in a tanker I presumed you were in the Gulf.

I think here all the refineries are at Durban, so the fuel has to be transported to other centres? At least I can't remember seeing a refinery anywhere else.

Durban was good too :D Yes, we were just doing the local delivery of refined products.

Nadim,

I thought you were in Lebanon? Do you know any of the Team Saluki clan there, Mark, Tim, Dave, Streaky, Ian, Gordon etc. ? Mark and Tim will be in the Desert Challenge in about 3 weeks.

Yeah, I know them all! Mark is rebuilding the 4.8 V8 and we're getting ready for the challenge coming up. Streaky just bought my 265/75 BFG AT/KO for his "Moby Dick" (big ass 130 for the desert) and we're enjoying the desert...

I work in Dubai, but I travel at least once a month to Lebanon for a 4 days chill-out - desert in a D90 convertable, and mud/snow in the monster Disco :)

Cheers

Great stuff. I'll be there over the X-mas / New Year holiday and will try to convince Gordon (aka Sharky) to get me out in the desert. I also need to see Streaky's brontosaurus! Anyway, may see you then.

Hi Guys

Another new member who resides in Dubai, got a 90 Tombraider, just when you think there's nothing else to spend your money on Mark(Team Saluki)makes an apperance, and all that hard earned cash just goes

Nadim

Have not seen you for a while, but I hear the truck is looking good with the new tyres on it

Jason

Hi Guys

Another new member who resides in Dubai, got a 90 Tombraider, just when you think there's nothing else to spend your money on Mark(Team Saluki)makes an apperance, and all that hard earned cash just goes

Nadim

Have not seen you for a while, but I hear the truck is looking good with the new tyres on it

Jason

Get back to work and stop oiking around on the internet or I'll call George!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P