Stupid Question of the Day

Yoyodyne

I think i know the answer before I start but I'm just making sure before I dish out the shekels:

One of my rear shocks appears to be weeping (Pro Comp 9000) and the MOT is due in a couple of weeks. Is this a fail?

Pro Comps seem to be the cheapest gas struts around - any other recommendations without breaking the bank? I've got a 2" lift on an RRC.

I think i know the answer before I start but I'm just making sure before I dish out the shekels:

One of my rear shocks appears to be weeping (Pro Comp 9000) and the MOT is due in a couple of weeks. Is this a fail?

Pro Comps seem to be the cheapest gas struts around - any other recommendations without breaking the bank? I've got a 2" lift on an RRC.

Yes i belive it is a fail for mot, when i had my disco 6mths ago one of my pro comps failed it had been on there for a 2years so i rang explorer who i got them from, and they replaced them stright away :blink::D they did not even want the old one back ;) i had the new shock next day too. So too that end i will always by procomp aslong as they give me good after market service like they have done :D

When I bought my +2" lift kit they had as long as you own the vehicle warranty, don't know if they still offer this. They began to weap some 3-4 years later after much abuse; and were also changed FOC, can't complain about that.

Wonder how they determine 'slight seepage'. You could clean it, go for the MOT and it would appear to be slight, but in reality the shock could be almsot empty. I've never know a leaky shock to pass an MOT. I guess it's not worth the risk just advising on it. Garages still do the bounce test on the shocks as well though.

Les.

True to thier word Paddocks have delivered 2 shiny new 9000s.

Next stupid question:

To boot or not to boot?

The new shocks came with boots. I know there are divided opinions out there, fit boots or leave them nekkid -

If you fit them do you fasten the ends with cable ties to stop water getting in or leave the ends loose to let water out?

Which looks best, boots or shiny chrome ?

Also - why does the weather always turn shoddy when I have a job to do ?

I've had boots on my bilstein rears for 5+ years.

Never taken them off and the shafts feel fine. The shocks certainly don't leak.

I would fit them as stone damage quickly removes the chrome on Procomps. If you are worried about dirt ingress then either take them off from time to time to check or enlarge the drain holes in at the bottom of the boots.

My 2p.