Another pipe question.

Les Henson

Got my pipe bender today :) , however, apparently I have to go to Wales to buy the right pipe (EN10255) according to my local steel stockist.

Is there an easily available and as safe to use alternative that doesn't involve me having to drive halfway across the country to get?

Les.

thats wierd Les

"BS 1387 & EN 10255: Non-Alloy Steel Tubes Suitable for Welding or Threading

The British Standard BS 1387 : 1985 has been withdrawn and replaced with the new European Standard EN 10255 : 2004.

Tube manufactured to the same specification maintains the same technical performance requirements for the finished tube. EN 10255's mechanical strength, chemistry, leak tightness testing and dimensional tolerances are equivalent to those of BS 1387 although the new Standard has changes to detail.

The finished product to EN 10255 is, for all practical purposes, unchanged when supplied to the equivalent type in BS 1387."

aka steam pipe, ERW - should be available everywhere they sell pipe or tube

He probably though you was giving him BS les ........... :lol:

IIRC From a stockholder that stuff usually comes in 3 or 4 m lengths which is difficult to transport on the average motor ............... where as the local friendly engineering place where the boss will deal in crisp notes get you lengths that are more manageable (and cheaper) ;)

:)

Ian

He probably though you was giving him BS les ........... :lol:

IIRC From a stockholder that stuff usually comes in 3 or 4 m lengths which is difficult to transport on the average motor ............... where as the local friendly engineering place where the boss will deal in crisp notes get you lengths that are more manageable (and cheaper) ;)

:)

Ian

As the others said some BS coming from this bloke !

Corrus BS1387 prob available from any large local Gas / Boiler company suppliers etc , often 6 metre lengths, 48.3mm OD with 3.2mm wall, don't buy "Heavy" as its about 4+MM wall :lol:

nige

Corrus BS1387 prob available from any large local Gas / Boiler company suppliers etc , often 6 metre lengths, 48.3mm OD with 3.2mm wall, don't buy "Heavy" as its about 4+MM wall :lol:

Hey - thats what my cage is made out of, i think :)

4mm wall is good stuff, it won't dent as easy :)

For those that want to know, the 3.2mm pipe to BS 1387 (british standard) or newer equivalent EN 10255 (european standard) is often referred to as Blue Band pipe (it has a blue painted band on each length to identify it).

This is one of the steels approved by the AWDC and MSA for offroad roll cages. The thicker pipe to these standards is Red Band which is also suitable, but heavier.

Regards,

Diff

Got my pipe bender today :) , however, apparently I have to go to Wales to buy the right pipe (EN10255) according to my local steel stockist.

Is there an easily available and as safe to use alternative that doesn't involve me having to drive halfway across the country to get?

Les.

i ordered 12 tubes(48.3mmx3.2mmx7.5m)yesterday from a small metal stockest opposite my work in acton london,they are coming in next week.also i am getting them delivered straight to my house(just got to bung the driver a drink)all for £34 a lenght :D

• 2 weeks later...

I went to order some pipe today - the guy in the steel stockists said that I needed CDS seamless pipe, 44.45mm O/D, 3.25 wall thickness, and 37.5mm I/D. The price he quoted me for 6 x 3.1metre lengths is £533.26p inc VAT. That works out at £88.87p per length. Something must be wrong somewhere, I kind-of thought that the materials would cheaper than that. Once other materials for spreader plates, bolts, etc - this doesn't seem such a saving on just going out and buying a ready-made cage.

Is this an acceptable price?

Am I likely to be buying the wrong pipe?

I thought maybe £250 or thereabouts for the pipe (although I don't have a clue to be honest).

Can anyone with definite knowledge let me know what's what please?

Les.

I went to order some pipe today - the guy in the steel stockists said that I needed CDS seamless pipe, 44.45mm O/D, 3.25 wall thickness, and 37.5mm I/D. The price he quoted me for 6 x 3.1metre lengths is £533.26p inc VAT. That works out at £88.87p per length. Something must be wrong somewhere, I kind-of thought that the materials would cheaper than that. Once other materials for spreader plates, bolts, etc - this doesn't seem such a saving on just going out and buying a ready-made cage.

Is this an acceptable price?

Am I likely to be buying the wrong pipe?

I thought maybe £250 or thereabouts for the pipe (although I don't have a clue to be honest).

Can anyone with definite knowledge let me know what's what please?

Les.

Les,

He's talking rubbish, as you need BS1387 Medium weight 1.5" nominal bore pipe. It has a nominal o/d of about 48.3mm (varies slightly in the manufacturing process, but will be within tolerance). It is relatively cheap, and will bend nicely in a crush bender, with a minimum of deformation (as it is intended, cos it is often bent on site by portable equipment when being used for pipe fitting).

When I used to live in your neck of the woods, I used the Pipe Centre in one of the big ind est on the north side of the city. Not the cheapest, but they usually have loads in stock, already painted in red oxide, (which saves painting tiem later, as it already has a layer on it), plus they have lots of other size box flat etc that is useful.

http://www.pipecenter.co.uk/pipe/index.html

If you can get them down to a good price with a bit a haggling, it is well worth it. I think they will even deliver it for a small charge.

Toby

Well you're an absolute star Toby! Phoned them and they have it in stock (enough for HFH even). 19 metres will only set me back £7.98p a metre, and they have it in stock! Off to spend £200 now. Thanks very much for that, I owe you several pints. :D

Les.