Bonnet interchangability

v8bertha

My rangie has exposed bonnet hinges. Since embarking on the extensive reuild :hysterical: and telling a few people about it, I have had a load of bonnets turn up in the garden, much to Jens disgust (she only like Sieries bit :rolleyes: ). But they are from vehicles that had the concealed springy hinges. Anyone know if I can put a later bonnet onto exposed hinges?

I cant be arsed to actually take the old bonnet off and try it out, hence asking on here :D

Ta chaps

Dan :)

Well, i have built a hybrid within the time you have nearly built a 109, which is also within the time since Bertha was last seen in action!!

I reckon George will beat bertha back to the road!! Unless of course you combine george and bertha?

Hat.......... Coat.................... Gone,......... before Jen reads this!!

especially as she was very complimentary about hybrid when she saw it.

I reckon even Will Warne will beat me at this rate!!! :lol:

I have a couple of spare panels (is it the scuttle?) but if I use them then the door hinges will foul it :huh:

Spose I could actually try it at some point, that'd be the best all round solution!

I reckon even Will Warne will beat me at this rate!!! :lol:

I have a couple of spare panels (is it the scuttle?) but if I use them then the door hinges will foul it :huh:

Spose I could actually try it at some point, that'd be the best all round solution!

If you have a measure up, you will find that the later scuttle ( concealed hinges ) is longer across the tops of the wings, hence your early exposed hinge doors will foul the scuttle.

No problem you may think, 'I'll change the doors too'. This you cannot easily do, as the hinges on the later doors and mounts on the shell are totally different. You could probably fabricate a special hinge arrangement, but how much work do you want to do for the sake of a later bonnet ?

I have doors, wings, scuttle etc from the later model which I have looked at fitting to my 'C' plate classic, hence the above advise.

If you have a measure up, you will find that the later scuttle ( concealed hinges ) is longer across the tops of the wings, hence your early exposed hinge doors will foul the scuttle.

No problem you may think, 'I'll change the doors too'. This you cannot easily do, as the hinges on the later doors and mounts on the shell are totally different. You could probably fabricate a special hinge arrangement, but how much work do you want to do for the sake of a later bonnet ?

I have doors, wings, scuttle etc from the later model which I have looked at fitting to my 'C' plate classic, hence the above advise.

Cheers Stumpy... I read your post and thought "Naaaaaa, that can't be right". I knew the door hinges were different and that the scuttle didn't have the cut out for the exposed hunge, but I didn't know about the length of the scuttle. So I went out and measured it. there is about 2cm difference! That did surprise me :o

So... anybody got an old style bonnet they don't want... I'll swap it for a load of later bonnets and scuttle panels ;):lol:

D :D