Boring Cars...

Iain

Hi all,

My SIII rebuild is taking a bit longer than planned (almost a year since I got the new chassis, and still no where near finished)

So I've decided to buy a boring car to get me around in the mean time. - something car-like, small, fairly new, cheap to run, but with 4x4 and above avergae ground clearance, for snowy roads and bumpy tracks. I'll be keeping it after my 109 is rebuilt, to be an everyday run around/ motorway use, and keep the milage on the landy down.

I'm looking at:

Suzuki Ignis GLX 4Grip - a supermini estate with full time 4x4 and better ground clearance than most normal cars.

Suzuki SX4 / Fiat Sedici -brand new "crossover" car built by suzuki in hungary. the suzuki has no diesel, and the Fiat is UGLY!

Fiat Panda 4x4 SLOW! i.e. slower than my sIII. - and that's with 1 person inside. Will be terrible with 3 blokes in and 3 bikes on the roof.

Nissan Quashqui - another brand new town car with 4x4 as an option, no diesel option yet...

Skoda Octavia 4x4 or Scout - golf sized estate car with 4x4 as an option - not actually seen a 4x4 one in the flesh yet, also much more expensive.

Has anybody got any experience of these? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Iain

Hi all,

My SIII rebuild is taking a bit longer than planned (almost a year since I got the new chassis, and still no where near finished)

<SNIP>

Iain

For me the only car I would consider (new) in the category you describe would be one of these...

http://www.kia.co.uk/sportagehome.asp

Or you could get a used Freelander..........

Cancel the last one, seems Skoda are no longer going to make a Roomster in 4x4 guise as promised at concept stage!

Skoda are due to make a "Scout" model of the Fabia and Roomster, but only the octavia actually gets 4x4 - the others are just pretend - same with the possible Fiesta "OFF-ROADER" that made me waste £1.80 on Auto express.

The golf 4-motion is the same floorpan and running gear as the Octavia, but for the UK market they lower and stiffen the suspension, whereas the Skoda gets it raised (and possible softened?)

Scoobydoos are out as they drink worse than Landies.

Audi might be worth a look - I have no idea what an A4 is - will take a peak at the Audi website.

I had missed it in the "What Car" guide as it apparantly is a "Compact Executive".

a car for company directors under 5' tall?

The Kia is actually not that far off the others in terms of price and economy. I'll need to check out insurance - they're group 10.

Thanks!

Iain

Depends on your budget. Citroen 2CV? Incredible offroad, not too bad on fuel and not a lot to go wrong in a 2-cylinder air-cooled engine.

Otherwise, the Citroen BX came in a 4x4 variant for a short time, and the suspension will jack up on a cab-lever.

Both could be had for under £1000 in good condition.

It may be complete heresy by what about a little SJ or Viatara? Scoobs are always going to go for strong money, unless you want to race round the council estate in it I would leave alone.

How much do you really need 4wd? A 2wd vehicle will go a lot further than you think, I had the Primera all round Bunny Lane :P if it's just a few tracks then a citroen with cunning suspension will probably do you fine. If it's mud that's the problem then lots of cars have traction control these days.

Believe it or not my V8 RR has proved a fairly economical runabout - fuel sucks but everything else is cheap as chips, including buying one in the first place. I've stuck 12k on it in a year and it's not cost any more than buying something newer and taking the depreciation / servicing costs, but it's a Range Rover not a eurobox B)

Oh and I can recommend a trawl round the local scrapyards for write-offs, a bit of expensive cosmetic damage can get you an otherwise good car for not much money - and everyone will get out of your way :lol:

a su aaa suz aaaahhh suzuki jimny there i said cooor that was hard to say lol.............but i know a couple of people with them and there cheap and relible 4x4 and seem to handle ok on the rough!!!!

I would suggest the suzuki's, seem to be cheap, they are iffy on the image, but on the same score, they are unlikely to have offroaded, so ought to be ok.

Other goo dthing is they are 2wd ubtill you need the 4wd, so marginally better economy.

I have to admit that i was going to get a Vitara, if i had not been able to build my hybrid!!

Wanted a pink one with white leather, just cos it was daft.

I'll go and hide away now!! :ph34r:

It may be complete heresy by what about a little SJ or Viatara? Scoobs are always going to go for strong money, unless you want to race round the council estate in it I would leave alone.

How much do you really need 4wd? A 2wd vehicle will go a lot further than you think, I had the Primera all round Bunny Lane :P if it's just a few tracks then a citroen with cunning suspension will probably do you fine. If it's mud that's the problem then lots of cars have traction control these days.

Believe it or not my V8 RR has proved a fairly economical runabout - fuel sucks but everything else is cheap as chips, including buying one in the first place. I've stuck 12k on it in a year and it's not cost any more than buying something newer and taking the depreciation / servicing costs, but it's a Range Rover not a eurobox B)

Oh and I can recommend a trawl round the local scrapyards for write-offs, a bit of expensive cosmetic damage can get you an otherwise good car for not much money - and everyone will get out of your way :lol:

Bunny Lane?

I take your point about the 4x4 it's not something I'll need a lot. I used to travel round happily in the winter on 1 or 2 inches of snow in a mini metro. As long as you kept moving, and steered gently it did ok. That was when it was just me , or maybe me and a passanger. But then all the weight was over the front wheels.

These days I have a habit of traveling in winter with 3 or 4 adults, a boot full of kit and often mountian bikes on the roof. When you get the weight at the back then you really struggle for grip with front wheel drive. Reversing up a snowy hill is not my idea of fun, but sometimes it's the only way!

A mate used to have a 2cv - it was brilliant with 2 people, and 2 bikes sticking out the roof from the back seat on a dry day, unless you tried going uphill into a headwind, we were down to 10mph some times, and aparantly the engine was in really good condition. However I still liked it, as always like cars which have proper air conditioning (flaps under the windscreen!)

This time I'm really looking for something reliable that I can get serviced at a garage. I already have a landy that takes up more time than I have.

I went for a test drive in the Suzuki Ignis today - it was a 2 year old model at £6k, that should be within my price range at the moment without any big loans, (which means more money to spend on my Landy)

I took it a very bumpy track (musselburgh Lagoons, just East of Edinburgh) that used to ground badly on my Mum's Pug 206 (a horrible car to drive) even when you take it at 3mph and steer round all the big dips. The Ignis got over all the bumps with no scrapes or bangs, and a good deal smoother than the 109" would manage at the same speed. I expected some complaints, or at least a worried look from the salesman in the back, but he didn't complain about my choice of route. I think he just enjoyed a more interesting test-drive than usual.

I was suprised to find it has a baby live axle at the rear. A panhard rod and trailing arms I think. - I'm not sure what I was expecting. - something modern and independant probably. The brochure just says "3 link Rigid" or some guff like that.

I think it has enough height and winter grip to meet my needs, without being a replacement for the old landy. I'm going to ponder for a few days, and maybe buy it next week if it's still around.

Cheers for the advice folks!

Iain

How much do you really need 4wd? A 2wd vehicle will go a lot further than you think, I had the Primera all round Bunny Lane :P

I've googled bunny lane!

You drove here:

DSC04014%20(Small).JPG

(Thanks to The Solent And District Land Rover Club for the image!)

in one of these?

car_rt_photo_460111_1_7.jpg

(thanks to Autoexpress for this one)

You don't really like your Primera then?

Iain

He did... although it wasn't that bit of Bunny Lane and his primera didn't really look like that! :D

I took my Scooby to Bunny lane too... I did have some pics somewhere but can't find them now :(

unless you want to race round the council estate in it I would leave alone.

Oi Jon, I'm watching you :angry::P