Lack of power in high gears

I've just bought a challenge 200 tdi 90 with 4.11 diffs, discovery transfer box and simex 35's. Just wondered what effect these mods would have on the acceleration in the higher gears. It seems to me to be way down on power in 3rd and 4th particularly on hills compared to my previous 200 tdi. I first thought that it may have some kind of problem with the turbo, but the previous owner assures me its down to the tyre / gearing combo. Anyone gone to a similar setup, with the same effect

As always any advice much appreciated..

:)

Ed B

i have a std 200tdi with 1.4T box and 3.54 diffs and with 35 tyres on she struggles in 5th. all others are OK. with 1.2T box i would expect her to struggle in 4th maybe 3rd. Bet shes not pulling many revs when your up into 4/5th.

5th with 1.4 is almost redundant on the main roads around here with 35"s on IME

edited: oops, 4.11 changed to 3.54

i have a std 200tdi with 1.4T box and 4.11 diffs and with 35 tyres on she struggles in 5th. all others are OK. with 1.2T box i would expect her to struggle in 4th maybe 3rd. Bet shes not pulling many revs when your up into 4/5th.

I'd agree with both James and Red90 - its a combination of both. I reckon a 1.2T and 4.11's is a touch high for a challenge truck - you'd be better off with a 1.4 ratio box.

Also, Simex (or any aggressive tyre for that matter) eat power whatever their size. Just think of all the noise (and heat) they make - its power lost through the rolling resistance / tread block vibration. My advice would be to get the gearing lower as you'll still be able to hit the national speed limit on a motorway, it'll be quicker off the line and far less work on A-roads.

i have a std 200tdi with 1.4T box and 4.11 diffs and with 35 tyres on she struggles in 5th. all others are OK. with 1.2T box i would expect her to struggle in 4th maybe 3rd. Bet shes not pulling many revs when your up into 4/5th.

when did you fit 4.11s then?

Mine has 35" Simex's, standard diffs (i think :unsure: ), standard transfer box but bigger intercooler and tweaked pump was surprised at how quick off the mark she can be all things considering

Yes my old one had the tweaks and the intercooler done, but this one is standard. I'm just finding it hard to believe that this lack of oomph in higher gears is down to the gearing / tyres alone. Put your foot down in 3rd or 4th on even a shallow hill and doesnt seem to have any torque whatsoever..

:unsure: