Last post killed it

jules

the last post killed this section dead I would say.

Must have.

I think it is time to delete this forum from my favourites - if no one uses it what is the point. Every time I have asked a question I get little in the way of response but I am always happy to give my experiences with Freelanders but obviously everyone's car on this forum is running OK. Not so on other forums.

Cheers

Garry

It used to be fairly quiet on LRe tbh.

Just proves it's not yet as popular with enthusiasts as the other models. I agree there is more traffic on the other forums but a very small amount by comparison with those forums other model boards.

Every time I have asked a question I get little in the way of response but I am always happy to give my experiences with Freelanders

I'm sorry if you think you are getting a raw deal but it's not like a knowledge swap. You don't trade info in for info out on an equal basis as far as I can see. I certainly don't.

If you are lucky enough to have all the answers, such as David Sparkes (38a guru) seems to, then you aren't likely to need any info!

Why not try and get things going yourself, start a poll or a modifications thread perhaps?

It used to be fairly quiet on LRe tbh.

Just proves it's not yet as popular with enthusiasts as the other models. I agree there is more traffic on the other forums but a very small amount by comparison with those forums other model boards.

I'm sorry if you think you are getting a raw deal but it's not like a knowledge swap. You don't trade info in for info out on an equal basis as far as I can see. I certainly don't.

If you are lucky enough to have all the answers, such as David Sparkes (38a guru) seems to, then you aren't likely to need any info!

Why not try and get things going yourself, start a poll or a modifications thread perhaps?

Yes, what is it with freelander owners? Looking at Jules' they can clearly be a lot of fun but most seem to go unmodified and un-muddied.

Be nice if some freelander owners could show the rest of us what the model is capable of and the sort of mods they've found usefull. Might encourage the others to do more with their freelanders or at least get them muddy occasionaly.

The Freelander club is a very busy forum with over 1000 members just for freelanders but I don't tend to get time to look there anymore.

They seem to know how to get them muddy and how to fix them too.

Deano - you misunderstood me completely - I don't expect to have a knowledge swap - I go on these things to share what little information I have - I don't expect anything in return. But n one else seems to be interested - even my provocative post of some time ago asking where have all the hippos gone didn't get anything back at the time - then after some time along came Jules and at least a half reasonable thread started.

Freelanders, and in particular the 1.8s are notoriously unrealiable (though my early diesel runs well after I replaced the drivetrain) and I am surprised that there are more posts. I have tried to get soething going with my hippo post but we all come to these forums for different reasons - for me it is to learn from others and hopefully to give something as well.

I am not interested getting as good as I give but it would be nice if there were a few more posts.

Clearly from the responses to mine and Jules posts on this thread - people are clearly looking but not using.

Garry

Deano - you misunderstood me completely - I don't expect to have a knowledge swap - I go on these things to share what little information I have - I don't expect anything in return. But n one else seems to be interested - even my provocative post of some time ago asking where have all the hippos gone didn't get anything back at the time - then after some time along came Jules and at least a half reasonable thread started.

Freelanders, and in particular the 1.8s are notoriously unrealiable (though my early diesel runs well after I replaced the drivetrain) and I am surprised that there are more posts. I have tried to get soething going with my hippo post but we all come to these forums for different reasons - for me it is to learn from others and hopefully to give something as well.

I am not interested getting as good as I give but it would be nice if there were a few more posts.

Clearly from the responses to mine and Jules posts on this thread - people are clearly looking but not using.

Garry

Sounds like the right idea Garry :) We'd all like to see this forum better used and be able to share info when we can. Maybe as Jules says the freelander owners are already well served eslewhere. Any ideas on how we might attract more freelander owners to the forum?

Also how many of our existing members already have a Freelander or two?

Deano - you misunderstood me completely...

Garry

Sorry Garry, been doing that a bit just recently. :(

You do get a lot of lurkers. Perhaps those people are using the search facility, after all it seems to be the same two or three faults doesn't it?

Head gaskets, tyrewear/drivetrain & bushes and rear window.

Sounds like the right idea Garry :) We'd all like to see this forum better used and be able to share info when we can. Maybe as Jules says the freelander owners are already well served eslewhere. Any ideas on how we might attract more freelander owners to the forum?

Also how many of our existing members already have a Freelander or two?

My wife has a red '04 TD4 which she has had from new and now has 30,000 mostly on road miles on the clock. Erm.... what else? New front tyres at 25,000, rears will need replacing soon. Apart from a minor clutch glitch a year or so back (a 30 min dealer fix but she hasn't got a clue what the problem was) it's been fine.

There you go, I've contributed :D

My wife has a red '04 TD4 which she has had from new and now has 30,000 mostly on road miles on the clock. Erm.... what else? New front tyres at 25,000, rears will need replacing soon. Apart from a minor clutch glitch a year or so back (a 30 min dealer fix but she hasn't got a clue what the problem was) it's been fine.

There you go, I've contributed :D

That's actually a very good recomendation for a Freebie. sort of what I'd like my Disco to do (but it doesn't quite).

I keep on hearing about Freelanders going through tyres (and brakes) in about 25-30,000 km but this is certainly not my experience. I have a 98 XEDI with 190,000km on the clock and the brakes have got about 50,000km on them. The disks and drums are still the originals. As far as tyres go I have got about 45,000 km so far and I guess there is another 20,000 km still left in them. The fronts certainly wear quicker than the rears and I have worn the fronts down to a bit above legal and then put them on the back. By the time the new fronts wear down the rears have worn and I am able to replace all at once.

I have Bridgestones Highway/Trail tyres which are noisy on some surfaces but good on others. Off road they are not so good but if you tread carefully they are fine. When it comes time to renew my tyres I might go for a BFG A/T and accept a bit less life and a bit more grip offroad.

Issues with my freelander - 6 months ago suffered the usual viscous coupling and IRD failure and have now relaced these and the diff with items from a TD4. Better onroad cruising, the design problem is gone but overall gearing is higher - great on the road, not so good off it.

Other Issues (noting that the Freelander was never designed as a serious offroad car but realistically an allroad vehicle - we do seem to forget this sometimes)

Ground clearance - just not enough under the engine - I have major holes in my undertray from one trip in rocky country - will need to replace it with a alloy plate.

Gearing - first is just not low enough for slow rough work on a slope. I can sort of accept no lower range but a crawler gear would have been nice

Viscous Coupling - why go this route when a perfectly good center diff and diff lock already existed in other landrovers - put this in a housing - it would be no bigger than the VC - provide full time 4wd rather than part time 4wd on the road and allow the system to be locked when needed. We would never have had the drivline problems of the 98/99 freelanders as a proper center diff would have been able to cope with the different diff ratios in the car.

A switch to deactivate the Traction Control and ABS in certain conditions off road. Sand dunes will stop a freelander and discovery with traction control dead - the system with all wheels slipping and sliding doesn't know whether it is Arthur or Martha and the brakes go on and momentum is lost. In Aust many of us carry blown fuses to put in the fuse box to switch off the TC when off road.

Plusses - great suspension compliance and reasonable travel.

Ease of operation

TC is great in most conditions and works really well

Great fuel economy in the diesel

A great engine - I really don't think the TD4 engine is better than the L series - it just has different characteristics.

These are my thoughts - lets hear some support and lets hear some grumbles and lets get this forum going.

Garry

V8 Discovery

XEDI Freelander

I would agree the L seires is a very gooy understated engin

They uesd to fit them to folk lift truck but they changed to another engine due to the fact that the manufacture was not making any money out of the engine was too reliable.

I did 100k in a 98 freelander D and I miss it the Disco 2 ES is nicer but likes its fuel.

I have a TD4 as well but the racer can't be compaired