Twin alternators on a 200tdi

Any one got any hints or tips on doing this?

Have a 200tdi defender engine in my 90 & at the mo im needing to look at my charging & power system for the TFC (no point doing it if i didnt get an entry)

As it stands im runing a 65A standard disco alternator but after last weekends play at drumclog where at one point it was displaying 10V +/- a bit when doing a heavy pull it appears something i should look at,

really have £200 ish to play with for baterys & alternators,

Have a RRC 3.9efi with no aircon etc,am i right in thinking that should be a 100A alternator?

It's fairly straightforward to stick twin alternators on a 200Tdi. I did it recently on my Disco engine....

One alt remains in the standard location, t'other goes up by the A/c pump mount.

Get a couple of big batteries from an agricultural merchants, unless you have a particular sealed battery fetish.

Alt wise, I've got two 90a alternators from Mondeos in a scrapyard. Less than £10 each - I carry a pair of new diode packs / regulator thingys in case one goes tits up, but at that price they're disposable.

Wiring wise, I'm currently running each alt seperately to each battery, but following this discussion I'm planning to run both alts together through an X-Eng split charger.

If your Defender engine isnt fitted with an air con front pulley then you will need one , they are about £35 .

I used a 120amp P38 alternator on mine and swapped the serpentine pulley for a 13mm V pulley (Astra Diesel)

drill out the 4 mounting blanks on the top of the timing cover and fit helicoil inserts , Make a bracket up to suit the holes and the alternator ,bolt it all together and find yourself an adjuster bracket and a belt to suit.

Use 35mm2 cable back to the battery and use the 24v warning lamp in the dash for a charge warning .

The main advantage is to keep the batteries going but also because its up high it dosnt tend to get full of crud .

post-1171-1178467097_thumb.jpg

post-1171-1178467132_thumb.jpg

post-1171-1178467160_thumb.jpg

OR do i swap in a 300tdi & do the same mods but with 120A as standard?

Also what batterys do you recomend/ use? Exides,optimas cheapys from dingbro?

Currently have a huge 600cca gel battery BUT it fills the battery box on its own :lol:

As I mentioned elsewhere:

Numax CVX27 Marine Starter. Deep Cycle. Starter. 1000CCA. 130AH. 61quid inc and two will fit in the box. 3 year any use warrantee. Visual battery condition display.

Do you have a suppliers details?

As I mentioned elsewhere:

Numax CVX27 Marine Starter. Deep Cycle. Starter. 1000CCA. 130AH. 61quid inc and two will fit in the box. 3 year any use warrantee. Visual battery condition display.

asked my local supplier & hes struggling to get me a pair o them, any suggestions on where to get a pair as they sound just the job