Comfort

Just completed a 200 mile round trip in our new(ish) 110 - collected yesterday from our local LR dealer. (that's another story) :angry:

She who must be obeyed (The Mrs) wants to know how I could justify spending over 20K on a vehicle that doesn't even have a vanity mirror on the underside of the sun visor!

(I'm lost for words :blink: )

I've a numb bum from the seats, a sore elbow from the bashing against the door, cramp in both legs from the poor leg room (I'm 6' 2") and a splitting headache from the engine roar - but in the immortal words of the comedian Dick Emery.....You Are Awful......................But I Like You!

:D

I'm assuming it's a TD5? Fit a GKN overdrive, it'll make cruising at 70 - 80mph much more pleasant and should help your fuel consumption a bit (mine gave about 3mpg more due to the right foot).

^^^^^ fit a set :D & inform your other half as a Defender is a working vehicle it was never fitted with girly vanity mirrors :lol:

'Fraid that just doesn't cut it. I've tried that. - You know how women are, and as her driving instructor said "Mirror, Make-up, Manoeuvre !"

'Fraid that just doesn't cut it. I've tried that. - You know how women are, and as her driving instructor said "Mirror, Make-up, Manoeuvre !"

I have a girl that ocassionally works for us she fully understands the make up of a land rover defender and checks her looks in the passenger door mirror on getting out!! she has never looked for a vanity mirror, but then again shes happy swinging a chainsaw and operating a wood chipper so prehaps thats why she understands!!! :D

Just completed a 200 mile round trip in our new(ish) 110 - collected yesterday from our local LR dealer. (that's another story) :angry:

I've a numb bum from the seats, a sore elbow from the bashing against the door, cramp in both legs from the poor leg room (I'm 6' 2") and a splitting headache from the engine roar - but in the immortal words of the comedian Dick Emery.....You Are Awful......................But I Like You!

Well i'am 6'3" and have done trip's as long as 400miles + i've had the old gel 12 years and done nearly 200'000 miles and feel more comfortable in the Land rover than most cars the only changes i've made are trakkers seats haven't done any bulkhead changes etc.. :)

She who must be obeyed (The Mrs) wants to know how I could justify spending over 20K on a vehicle that doesn't even have a vanity mirror on the underside of the sun visor!

I am only a mere 6' but my problems are

the hand brake lever on the outside of the left leg

door handle on the knee of the right leg

ripped pockets from the door catch on entering the bl**dy thing

and where do you put your left foot when you have been on the motorway for 3 hours, sometimes on the handbrake lever, sometimes on the gearbox tunnel, sometimes on the floor and then there is the hook it behind the clutch pedal method (usually get 10 mins out of that one).

I agree about the elbow room, its a pity they could'nt make an arm rest. Not to bad if you have a cubby box in the midle, it gives you something to lean on.

As for the noise, well if you have a set of Simex you can forget the radio.

I bought my first Land Rover 32 years ago and I hav'nt stopped since. Ive got loads of em.

I like the lack of elbow room, it makes it so easy too stick your head out of the side window when trialing, in a Discovery you are too far away from the window to do the same as easiliy.

and where do you put your left foot when you have been on the motorway for 3 hours, sometimes on the handbrake lever, sometimes on the gearbox tunnel,

Yep, handbrake is perfect. I knew there was a use for it :D

Or on the seatbox if I get a cramp.

I had the disco Q gears in my defender from nearly new, 15% gearing increase reduces motorway noise. Also fitted a lead lined engine blanket and that helped too.

Mine now cruises quietly up to 75 ish before getting a bit noisy. Does 30mpg too.

After a while you get used to the 'elbows down' driving position as there is no elbow room.

The only thing I still don't like is the sore shoulder from it rubbing on the B post constantly. :angry: I'm 6' 2"

Rich

I had the disco Q gears in my defender from nearly new, 15% gearing increase reduces motorway noise. Also fitted a lead lined engine blanket and that helped too.

Mine now cruises quietly up to 75 ish before getting a bit noisy. Does 30mpg too.

You cant put a lead lined blanket on those simex though.

When we came back from the OEC Challenge at Bampton we had the rear window open because it was a nice day, the simex together with the side exhaust and no middle box meant I only spoke to the mrs twice and we did'nt put the radio on until we came off the M5 at Stourbridge.

You cant put a lead lined blanket on those simex though.

If you choose to run those tyres I'd gather refinement is not a top priority. :)

That's why Taz travells any great distances on a trailer.

Rich