anyone got a rangie axle? looks like i might have.

im replacing the driving members on the back of my 90.

the front ones went on ok but the back ones are different , they are shorter.

the axle has discs on there so im not sure if its off a rangie or not.

here is a pic of both driving members , the ones on there are the shorter ones (35 mil) as opposed to the new ones (50 mil).

the half shaft has 24 splines on the wheel end and ten on the diff end.

any ideas?

12-05-07_1638.jpg

Could be RR or D1 or Defender though as stock the RR & D1 tend to have mushroom headed shafts. The thinner drive member is used for alloy wheels.

Is the PCD of the two drive members the same? I have a RR axle in the back of mine and it not only used imperial bolts but a smaller PCD for the drive member.

Could be RR or D1 or Defender though as stock the RR & D1 tend to have mushroom headed shafts. The thinner drive member is used for alloy wheels.

Is the PCD of the two drive members the same? I have a RR axle in the back of mine and it not only used imperial bolts but a smaller PCD for the drive member.

whats a pcd?

Sorry, Pitch Circle Diameter. this is smaller on the older RR member and prevented me fitting my original 90 members (which happened to be thick as well) to my RR axle until I modified them.

Trev,

how did you modify them? I have set of RR rear shafts sat around that I was gonna use on my 90 as spares. but as you say PCD is different and the holes are smaller than the bolts I use on my current axle, which means hub threads will be different.

I was gonna drop them into a machine shop to be sorted out until I found out about PCD, which made me think it was more than just enlarging the holes.

OK

There are I think 2 types early (imperial) Drive flanges and Metric ones, the metrics are thinner and the bolt is different too.

90s use different again.

I had a devils own jobbie when I built up a imperial RR Casing, and a ARB 24 spline shafts and Metric hubs imperial calipers, metric flanges and bolts.

Its sort of mix and match, but they do look similar, 90 and RR stuff is very mixed as to changability.

Best to identify the hubs. Does the end of the wheel stud have either a "Dash" or a "Trainagle" stamped into it ?

Nige

OK

There are I think 2 types early (imperial) Drive flanges and Metric ones, the metrics are thinner and the bolt is different too.

90s use different again.

I had a devils own jobbie when I built up a imperial RR Casing, and a ARB 24 spline shafts and Metric hubs imperial calipers, metric flanges and bolts.

Its sort of mix and match, but they do look similar, 90 and RR stuff is very mixed as to changability.

Best to identify the hubs. Does the end of the wheel stud have either a "Dash" or a "Trainagle" stamped into it ?

Nige

i found this

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:yVYyYCA...;cd=1&gl=uk

its a driving member from a 300tdi si it could just be a later defender axle.

nige i will take a look tomorrow for the stamp , what does dash and triangle mean then?

Trev,

how did you modify them? I have set of RR rear shafts sat around that I was gonna use on my 90 as spares. but as you say PCD is different and the holes are smaller than the bolts I use on my current axle, which means hub threads will be different.

I was gonna drop them into a machine shop to be sorted out until I found out about PCD, which made me think it was more than just enlarging the holes.

I was fitting 90 members on a RR hub so for me it was just slot the holes with a round file till they fitted (the bolts being smaller and on a smaller PCD). Not a very bling soln but it worked :)

My two cents...

I have just had a CV joint go on my 90. I ordered an new CV joint and drive flange only to be sent the wrong parts (which i fitted and it screwed everything). Anyway, when paddocks sent me the right parts i noticed that the drive flange was thinner that the incorrect part. Are you saying the items you took off are different or that the new parts sent to you are, or both?