OT Computer help needed

madmatt

Evening folks,

I wondered if one of you kind people who are more computer minded than me can help. I've helped my friend set up her new computer (it was a hand me down) Its runing windows XP home edition, and she has a USB hub as the computer only has two usb ports. We tried to use her Jessops universal card reader on the new machine today and had a recurring problem. We tried the card reader plugged into the hub and also straight into the back of the tower, on both occasions the c omputer recognised the hardware but came up with an error message stating the card reader is a high speed device and we need to install a Hi-speed USB Host Controller. Thats were the pair of us were helpless as we now haven't a clue as to what one is or how to go about getting one?

The card reader worked perfectly well on her old computer and that was running ME The card reader has no driver discs or owt like that its supposedly just plug and play! :ph34r: Can anyone make head nor tale of my ramblings and offer any advice??

Sorry for being off topic

Many Thanks

Matt

Well from what I'm reading I believe it is suggesting you need a USB2 port.... That said, most devices will work at the slower speed except some new webcams...

Especially if it was working on ME before....

Try looking up the motherboard on the Interweb and see if they have posted any USB2 drivers for it.. You could be lucky and it could just be a case of updating the drivers in XP fo rthe USB ports....

Of course.. It could be that you don't have enough resources with XP installed...

How much memory do you have installed?

What processor and speed is in there?

Neil

Well from what I'm reading I believe it is suggesting you need a USB2 port.... That said, most devices will work at the slower speed except some new webcams...

Especially if it was working on ME before....

Try looking up the motherboard on the Interweb and see if they have posted any USB2 drivers for it.. You could be lucky and it could just be a case of updating the drivers in XP fo rthe USB ports....

Of course.. It could be that you don't have enough resources with XP installed...

How much memory do you have installed?

What processor and speed is in there?

Neil

Thanks for the reply, haven't a clue about memory and processor all I can say is that its lightning quick on all applications, the old pc was soooooooo slow would easily take an hr to down load 80 pics off a memory card and I can't imagine the old machine had USB2 ports. I'll look into updates, and also see if i can find out about processor and memorey.

Cheers

Matt

Just get a 4 port usb2 pci card and plug it in. Should get one for about £8.

Paul

Well apparently its windows XP installed from new Intel pentium3 processor 800mhz and has 384mb of ram availiable so does that help or are we tiddling in the wind??

Paul are the PCI cards really that easy plug in and use??

Cheers for everyones help.

Matt