Tyres, Tyres, Tyres

Hello, just after some advice about tyre sizes. Have currently got BFG Trac Edge 235/85 R16's on wolf rims but they're gettin a bit on the low side so will need replacement soon. I know they don't make these any more how close are BFG AT's to these. Also askin cos someone has offered me some 31x10.50 R15 AT's very cheap. How different is the overall tyre size gonna be i.e. will they fit?? will they change the handling/ride much??. Any suggestions of any othe rtyre that won't cost me an arm an a leg. Oh yeah and i do about 70/30 road/off road drivin.

Would really appreciate advice as am a bit of a numpty when it comes to this stuff!! :unsure:

the 31x10.50 R15 Won't fit because the Wheels are 16 inch diameter so there's no way those tyres will go on the rim. I run BFG MT's 255/85R16 on the same wheels without any problems, or you could try the 235 version.

BFG at's are more road biased then the Trac-Edge. looking at your 70/30 road/off-road use BFG AT's in 235/85R16 size would be fine.

31x10.50R15 is about 265/70R16 equivalent - so will be not as tall (31" or more likely about 30.7", while the 235/85R16 will be nearer 32") and a fair bit wider.

I don't think AT's are much good in muddy conditions but as long as it is reasonably dry they are OK - may be a bit wide if you are in typical UK conditions - not wide enough in this part of the world :) (hint: fill in your profile so we know where you are!)

Hello, just after some advice about tyre sizes. Have currently got BFG Trac Edge 235/85 R16's on wolf rims but they're gettin a bit on the low side so will need replacement soon. I know they don't make these any more how close are BFG AT's to these. Also askin cos someone has offered me some 31x10.50 R15 AT's very cheap. How different is the overall tyre size gonna be i.e. will they fit?? will they change the handling/ride much??. Any suggestions of any othe rtyre that won't cost me an arm an a leg. Oh yeah and i do about 70/30 road/off road drivin.

Would really appreciate advice as am a bit of a numpty when it comes to this stuff!! :unsure:

I have two sets of simex both 35/10.5/16 but one set is bigger than the other. They were bought at different times but have covered roughly the same amount of milage and same pressures.

The difference is in the height which is probably 3/4 cms.

i would go with 235/85R16 BFG ATs. i have run 235/85s trac edges on my td5 for a while and luckily came across an almost new set to replace the current ones otherwise i would have gone for the ATs/ in my experience stick with BFG they make good tyres that last a long time.

MTs would prob be a bit OTT, i ran the td5 on 255/85sR16 BFG MTs for the recent forum Pyrenees trip and they were far louder (as expected) but excellent in the clop compared to trac edges.

If your mainly road miles with a little off roading then ATs. or even have a second set of cheap remoulds for off roading.

if off roading accounts for 50% of your time in the vehicle then MTs may be a better bet.

Another here vote for the Cooper S/T and crucially a tyre pattern that would suit your indended use perfectly. The S/T is the nearest thing there is at the moment to a Trac-Edge style on-off road tyre. More agressive than the BFG A/Ts, but not quite an M/T and I'm guessing cheaper than the BFGs

Been using them for three years now on two different LRs without complaint. At the moment my Defender running 255s on Wolf rims.

K3MUD05.jpg