broken CV joints but what about broken UJ?

02GF74

There have been lots of posts about broken CV joints but I do not recall seeing one about broken UJ, those that are in the front of series drive.

Possible reasons being I have missed the posts, they are unbreakable - unlikely or not broken as often as they are stronger the CV ? or there are fewer Seires owners taking part in extreme challenges so less breakages??

I've never come across the main part of a uj breaking. The needles break up and fall out, then the roller cups get hammered until they too break and fall out. This is normally enough for the two parts of the joint to seperate, with rather noisy and damaging results. I broke the housing surrounding the uj in a front series driveshaft once - I would have thought that the uj would have snapped first as it didn't seem as beefy as the surrounding metal that did.

Les.

Hahahahahaha you've not looked in Tonk's garage lately then! He's done 2 in two months!

We eventually found the problem was cuase he had too much steering lock casuing the u/j's to bind and hence under power to shear. The lock stop bolts are there for a reason........

Other than him I've never heard of one breaking - the inner shafts will tist at the diff end before anything else breaks - I've seen a few twisted front shafts........

Another reason why series are better than 90's..........not to mention having considerably more suspension movement than a 90 eh Nige?

Jon

There have been lots of posts about broken CV joints but I do not recall seeing one about broken UJ, those that are in the front of series drive.

Possible reasons being I have missed the posts, they are unbreakable - unlikely or not broken as often as they are stronger the CV ? or there are fewer Seires owners taking part in extreme challenges so less breakages??

I've not yet broken the u-joints but have broken 5 halfshafts at the diffend. they give way before..... :(

Cheers Bowy

It aint that simple.

CV when driving straight is stronger - no question. CV when on full lock is not as strong.

CV's versus U/j's - who knows.

But then not many people run 35" simex on a series but lots do on 90's.

Series half shafts are 10 spline on the inner end - its the same size as the early defender stuff. But it then tapers out and is massive at the outer end. Late 90 is 24 spline so probably stonger again.

Later series outers are 24 spline at the outer end and are alot bigger than the earlier 10 spline items.

Depends if you're talking uprated or stnadard etc etc

Jon