Classic upper tailgate kits

Has anyone replaced their rusted out upper tailgate frame lately? I have found an aluminum frame kit through Rovers North here in the US for $400. Is that a fair price? I have torn mine apart and the low frame is beyond salvage. The rest of the frame and hardware could be salvaged. I guess all I really need is the lower frame piece. Has anyone used a replacement frame kit? What was rover thinking using steel on this, and for how many years?

• 3 weeks later...

If you were in the UK you could probably find a decent one off a scrapped rangie (often been replaced before the vehicle is scrapped for other reasons) - don't know what availability would be like in the states. Given what they seem to change hands for, though, I'd be tempted by the kit from Famous Four. Anyone know if it's decent quality?

FF kit worked fine on mine. Be careful cutting the old frame to get the glass out, the glass will not appreciate being introduced to an angle grinder!!

Only probs I have found with it are that the fixings they send are not stainless, and that with ally uppers you need to close by pressing on the lower left & right corners.

If you need a bit of oomph to shut it & use the handle you will eventually bow the bottom rail making it MORE difficult to close - so proper adjustment is crucial.

and that with ally uppers you need to close by pressing on the lower left & right corners.

If you need a bit of oomph to shut it & use the handle you will eventually bow the bottom rail making it MORE difficult to close - so proper adjustment is crucial.

Not a problem I've had with mine (it was on the truck when I bought it, so I can't take any credit for the fit) - it shuts perfectly with one hand. In fact it's the easiest closing upper tailgate I've come across on a classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a short article in the LROi that someone built a frame in steel.

But I could not manage to find anything concrete via google, neither can I look through 2m of LRO magazines (because they are stored in random order).

Are they still made, or has the idea been dropped due to no demand or something ?

Maybe I might be tinkering with one and galvanizing it.

• 4 years later...

Guys! Those of you who have restored the tailgate using these kits, could you please tell me if it is hollow inside or not (at least, in those places where the hinges should be fixed to)?

BTW, watch the pictures here:

http://lrforum.ru/topic/7120-то-о-чем-мечтают-все-владельцы-rrc/page__p__130934__hl__мечтают__fromsearch__1#entry130934

Having assembled and fitted the kit from rangerovertailgates I can tell you they are well made and rigid extrusions. They aren't solid inside, but the internal strengthening ribs are well placed. If you are concerned about crushing the frame when tightening the hinge bolts you needn't be.

I fitted new side latches and when correctly adjusted the gate shuts easily first time. Mine's been fitted a few years now and noproblems at all.