Q for '07 Defender owners (weather question)

The point that the Tdi / Td5 contributors may be trying to make is that by getting a good feel for the true effectiveness of the Tdi / Td5 heater (which the majority of us have experienced or have), you can then make an ASSESSMENT of the effectiveness of the '07 heater when you scale the Tdi / Td5 one up by 40%.

It also depends upon your own susceptibility to the cold. Our own preferences for in-car heat levels do vary. That then impacts upon the heat output required from the Defender's heating system.

Either way, if it were me, I'd try a standard system first for a month or so. If I wasn't happy, I'd upgrade with the Eberspacher / Webasto.

I'm sure the dealer would be happy to agree a retrofit deal on that basis.

To take ths a little further away from the original question

Our TDCi Ford Focus takes 7 miles on a 60-70mph dual carriageway to produce any heat at the vents when outside temps are down to zero, but then heats the cabin effectively.

My 90 TD starts kicking out heat before I get to the dual carriageway :blink: and then heats effectively.

My 110 300Tdi takes a little longer than the 90 (about 1/2 mile on the dual carriageway) but the heat struggles to get to the back. If I continually used it in a cold climate (We've been to -18 for several days on the trot) I would put a clear screen on the dog/luggage guard to aid cabin temps.

Any modern diesel (saloon, hatch,mpv, whatever) will need an auxillary heater in a cold climate as the engines are just too efficient to produce cabin heat immediately. A guy at work has a new Mitsubishi MPV, it has electric heaters in the vents!

Back on topic(ish), my pal lives in the French Alps and has a massive TD5 130 SW with an Eberspacher and heated front screen. That's always warm when needed!

I doubt the new Ford engine will produce excess heat quicker than the TD5, but the new dash/vents etc will distribute it more effectively. Now, if they could make the doors fit the holes it might just keep some of that heat in.

Oh, forgot to ask. Does the 07 still take it's air only from outside?

Remember, there is no "recirculate" mode on the Defender line up. You always heat up fresh air from outside. This is the biggest downfall of the heater.

If there is a "recirculate" mode I'll bet that is where 90+% of the stated improved heating and aircon comes from.

Any modern diesel (saloon, hatch,mpv, whatever) will need an auxillary heater in a cold climate as the engines are just too efficient to produce cabin heat immediately. A guy at work has a new Mitsubishi MPV, it has electric heaters in the vents!

The old Freelanders had a "PTC electric heater" on the options list which I assume must have been something similar, though I have never seen one in the flesh. The fuel burning heater on the Td4 certainly made a world of difference to the engine warm up, the FBH on my Freelander packed up for a while (sensor playing up) and it took forever to warm up.

I was comparing the mid 90s technology LR engines with mid 90s Japanese engines and the Jap ones (in a 4x4) warm up a hell of a lot quicker.

Recirculate is fine as long as you don't need demisting - then all it does is recycle the fog!

The point that the Tdi / Td5 contributors may be trying to make is that by getting a good feel for the true effectiveness of the Tdi / Td5 heater (which the majority of us have experienced or have), you can then make an ASSESSMENT of the effectiveness of the '07 heater when you scale the Tdi / Td5 one up by 40%.

I agree - the point I was making was that I felt it could be taken that the 07 model had the same shortcomings in the heating department as the earlier models. Having had both this is def not the case.

Good insulation is important too!

Sorry, can't tell for 07 model, but for TD5.

I own Defender 110 TD5 here in Oz, it is good at -3 ;) Driving in very hot (+40/45) conditions became much comfortable after adding insulation mats all around inside: roof, floor, doors, firewall. I used high density polyethylene film with a high density foam and an aluminum foil in total about 7mm, so virtually I drive a fidge :)

Underbody covered with 8mm conveyer rubber mats. I found it made additional sound insulation; also I'm getting less mud sticked after offroading, not a lot to wash off; do not worry about stone chips and wood sticks; can't hear mud tyres on bittumen too.

Cheers,

Ruslan

Hi Adrian,

I ordered in Moscow the New Def and I am eagerly waiting! FYI, it comes with the winter pack (and a lot more stuff I actually did not really want) and yes it will be appreciated even if -30 is ,frankly, not so typical in town...

The pack is supposed to heat the front and back shields as well as the front seats. I've testeed such heating seats on a number of times on a CR-V in winter (-25) and it is a blessing! It is no luxury at all in winter, especially for the passenger.

Nevertheless I do not plan to use my Def to go to work every day in town: too much traffic, no parking, cops and all; the metro - particularly in winter- is my choice.

I'll inform you about the heating and the rest as oon as I can. :i-m_so_happy:

Hi Adrian,

I ordered in Moscow the New Def and I am eagerly waiting! FYI, it comes with the winter pack (and a lot more stuff I actually did not really want) and yes it will be appreciated even if -30 is ,frankly, not so typical in town...

The pack is supposed to heat the front and back shields as well as the front seats. I've testeed such heating seats on a number of times on a CR-V in winter (-25) and it is a blessing! It is no luxury at all in winter, especially for the passenger.

Nevertheless I do not plan to use my Def to go to work every day in town: too much traffic, no parking, cops and all; the metro - particularly in winter- is my choice.

I'll inform you about the heating and the rest as oon as I can. :i-m_so_happy:

You bought it sight unseen or do the dealers had a model for a test drive? I was told that they won't have any in stock until end of June...which is like now. Which dealer did you use? I live at Frunzenskaya Nab. and walk 15 min to the metro. It's ok now but the past winter it really sucked. Plus i got a parking spot at the office so it kind of forces me to buy a car. :D

Transits always seem to be able to produce a huge amount of heat within minutes of starting the engines, and I'm pretty sure it's not through special gadgets as all mine have been on BT and god knows they wouldn't even fit steering wheels if they could get away with it <_< perhaps Ford have a more aggressive warmup setup for their engines or just a massive heater but they (and the Fiesta vans) were always good for getting warm. One could hope LR have raided the Ford parts-bin for the 07 heater as well as the engine perhaps?