Oil Pressure Switch

There is a switch for the 2.25 another for the 200Tdi and another for the 300Tdi. Then there's the V8.........

I do know what thread the 300Tdi one is after a year of searching.......

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

Does anyone know what thread the oil pressure switch is please?

It is part number PRC6387 and is a much finer thread than the earlier (but almost same-looking) switch for the 2.25 engine.

Thanks in advance...!

Paddocks list the same switch - PRC6387 - for the 300TDi as well.

In that case it's 10 x 1mm.

Be very careful. I would not expect any other Land Rover engine to use that size thread in an oil pressure switch.

Also there is one TPI between a 10 x 1mm and 1/8"BSP. Holding them together they look the same.

mike

In that case it's 10 x 1mm.

Be very careful. I would not expect any other Land Rover engine to use that size thread in an oil pressure switch.

Also there is one TPI between a 10 x 1mm and 1/8"BSP. Holding them together they look the same.

mike

Dont forget 1/8"NPT that is almost the same as well.

My EPC lists the oil pressure switch PRC6387 as a common part for the 2.25 petrol & all 2.5 engines petrol & diesel including both versions of the Tdi, also confirmed in my 110 1987 on paper parts book [LR genuine copy] :D

Well I took a new straight from the dealer oil pressure switch to my guy that seels me nuts and bolts. It would only fit the 10 x 1mm nut.

Funny isn't it.

Do you remember me looking for an adaptor to fit my oil pressure gauge ??

mike

YES !!England is a free counmtry. As long as you do as you are told !!!

Well I took a new straight from the dealer oil pressure switch to my guy that seels me nuts and bolts. It would only fit the 10 x 1mm nut.

Funny isn't it.

Do you remember me looking for an adaptor to fit my oil pressure gauge ??

mike

YES !!England is a free counmtry. As long as you do as you are told !!!

Well that's just wierd that it turns out to be a metric thread.

Yes, I remember the adaptor, have you found one yet?

can't remember if you have a capillary or electric driven gauge, my oil pressure gauge is the genuine LR elctric one & I used the adaptor in my modified drawing attached, was wondering if it would do for your gauge connection.

oil_pressure_gauge__trnamitter_fittings.pdf

Well that's just wierd that it turns out to be a metric thread.

can't remember if you have a capillary or electric driven gauge, my oil pressure gauge is the genuine LR elctric one & I used the adaptor in my modified drawing attached, was wondering if it would do for your gauge connection.

I am fitting a capillary gauge. It is the genuine Land Rover dual gauge complete with all parts in an unopened box from 1964! I thought I had better use it rather than leave it on the shelf.

However, the water temp transmitter thread wouldn't fit the 2.5 head or the two 2.25 heads I had in the garage. Engineering shop down the road sorted that out for me.

The oil pressure bit comes with a banjo/extension as per Western's drawings, but the thread is the coarser type as used on the 2.25 oil pressure switch. I thought if I could find an adaptor to go between the block (10x1mm) and the 'extension' piece (3/8 BSF as per earlier oil pressure switches?) it would all then go together.

How come some places sell the same switch for all 2.25/2.5 engines. It definitely is different! Not only the thread, but there is an 'extension' on the later 2.5 switch to clear the filter housing (see next sentence).

By the way western, how did you go fitting the banjo bit? There is a sort of collar so the thread is slightly recessed on my block and it didn't look as if the fitting would screw in without tha banjo fouling the edge...

Is that me your talking to Ralph.

Yep I got the adaptor. Went to my normal place in Middlesbrought to find it closed. I had to go to Demon Tweeks. Twice as expensive so I bought a roll of Tank Tape as well.

The adaptor was 10 x 1mm and 1/8NPT when I required 1/8BSP......How I wish they would go back to only Whitworth....

So armed with a 1/8BSP tap I managed the job. Oil pressure gauge works a treat.....

It's the one on the right...

img6231ac6.th.jpg

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told....

Sorry Mike, Yes the adaptor have you got one was for you, I see it's all sorted now.

Edward ---- By the way western, how did you go fitting the banjo bit? There is a sort of collar so the thread is slightly recessed on my block and it didn't look as if the fitting would screw in without tha banjo fouling the edge...

I used some copper crush washers between each part when they were fitted.

some picures of mine fitted here these may help :D

• 1 month later...

nice one , glad i found this.

ive got the same banjo bolt and adaptor for my td but im trying to fit a 1974 rangie oil pressure sender into it.

can anyone help me out as to what kind of adaptor i need?

• 2 years later...

I hate to drag an old thread back to life, but I'm trying to split the oil pressure port on my 2.5 NAD to run a mechanical pressure gauge while retaining the low pressure warning lamp. I've re-read the thread several times, but I can't figure out what the definitive thread pitch was on the PRC6387 sender. Is it 10x1 or 1/8 BSP or "other"?

Just trying to order the right adapter here: http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=2&pgCode=070&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0611&agName=Smiths+Classic+Gauge+Fittings

Thanks!

Well I'm glad it's not just me that's having trouble with this!

I'm trying to replace the low pressure switch on my 300Tdi with a gauge sender that has a low pressure switch built in, but the body fouls before it seats fully. I just need a straight extender but rocking horse manure seems easier to find. I'm going with Westerns adaptor (PRC4033) but suspect the threaded section is going to be too long so will need to cut it down and a die run over the threads. Here comes the tricky bit - just like Crusader I'm still not sure what thread it is!

1/8 nptf, M10x1 ? Surely there must be a spec for the sender somewhere.

<_<

Malcolm