Wheel Rim Size Question

Mo Murphy

Would my 265 wide tyres have been fitted to 7 inch rims or 8 inch when they were assembled new at Bronco ?

Mo

Probably could be either but I would expect 265s to be fitted to 7in rims normally, unless somebody was going for the "fat boy" look :D

tape measure

If you could drop off the wheel lay flat on the ground, lay straight piece of wood over the tyres measure tat distance then measure down to rim fom piece of wood turn over tyre and repeat second part to rim

take first figure fully inflated tyre to ground and subtract the two other figures it should give the rim width

tape measure

If you could drop off the wheel lay flat on the ground, lay straight piece of wood over the tyres measure tat distance then measure down to rim fom piece of wood turn over tyre and repeat second part to rim

take first figure fully inflated tyre to ground and subtract the two other figures it should give the rim width

Mo, your's are 7s

Stephen, is there a way to check with the tyre still on ?

It would be usual to have the size stamped on the rim Mo, ie., 16x7J where the 7J refers to the width in inches. Look on the inside of the mounting flange in the centere. 285s will fit on 7" but I would be inclined to used 8".

It is also my own personal and very humble opinion that 285s are too wide for general off-roading, at least what I do, and I would prefer something narrower. I think my 255/85s are too wide but I can't find anything narrower without compromising sidewall height. Suggestions welcome.

Chris

I also know somebody who ran 33x12.50R15 on 7" rims (305 wide) on a Toyota and had no problems, though they looked a bit odd and I really wouldn't recommend it!

At the other extreme I know somebody else who put 11.50s on 10" wide rims and they looked even more odd... :blink: