gps

siggy

Siggy - what do you want to do with your GPS? I was using some of this for my final year project at Uni (but as a tool rather than the project itself - I'm not an electronics bod!) and there's not much you can really do to them. They're only as good as the number of satellites the unit can see and there's plenty of utilities available to rip the NMEA code as it streams in - then the sky's the limit for what you do with the information...

JB

Siggy, I'm with Mo and JB - the leading brands have download sites where you upgrade the firmware etc. Cables et al are available at pretty competitive prices now for most machines. Best single addition is an external aerial, available widely on Ebay or from proper suppliers.

If you want a rugged handheld, can thoroughly recommend my GPSMap 60 CS for most purposes - colour screen and detail are fantastic. 57 Mb of internal available memory. Only negative is that it would have been better with a flash card capability. DO NOT BUY ANY US MARKET GPS as they will require you to fill up the available memory with the basic UK stuff.....sadly they're half the price over there.

This is the most helpful GPS site I've come accross - loads of tips and an excellent New User area.

Neil

Dave

Did it?

Chrissy was looking for the orient and the spice islands when he stumbled into your neighbourhood :(

so map and compass may have been ok if he could read them :P but if he'd had a GPS you'd still be european :rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D

Some excellent links there on GPS Lads................. OUCH ! my head hurts............ I think i'll stay with the map and compass........... Hey! it worked for Christopher Columbus :) :) :)

Well.... <_< I don't think he had a map either :D:o , wasn't that the problem :D . He should have stopped and asked the lovely ladies in the Canaries for directions :lol: [or gone up and gotten a map from Leif :D:lol: ]

cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...