Series Wiper Motor

Geminidawn

I have a Series IIA and the wiper motor is shot so I orderd a "Series" wiper motor from Paddocks which hasn't arrived yet. I was told by another IIA owner that they are in fact Series III and will need some modifications. Anyone familiar with this and what modifications are needed?

I have a Series IIA and the wiper motor is shot so I orderd a "Series" wiper motor from Paddocks which hasn't arrived yet. I was told by another IIA owner that they are in fact Series III and will need some modifications. Anyone familiar with this and what modifications are needed?

If your 2a is the square type you will have to modify or swap the bracket. Shouldn't be too hard.

John

The wiper motor arrived today,

It turns out what Paddocks is passing off as Series is the same as Defender.

Therefore nothing is remotely similar and a lot of modifications are required. The crank diameter and primary are all different and will have to be replaced with the Defender type if I wish to proceed and have a pair of working wipers anytime in the near future.

However in the meantime a trucker told me to cut a potato in half and rub it on the windscreen, this should help displace the water until I get the problem sorted :blink:

The wiper motor arrived today,

It turns out what Paddocks is passing off as Series is the same as Defender.

Therefore nothing is remotely similar and a lot of modifications are required. The crank diameter and primary are all different and will have to be replaced with the Defender type if I wish to proceed and have a pair of working wipers anytime in the near future.

However in the meantime a trucker told me to cut a potato in half and rub it on the windscreen, this should help displace the water until I get the problem sorted :blink:

There is no difference between a series 3 wiper motor and a Defender one prior to the TD5.....

Many British cars of the 1960s and 1970s had a similar Lucas type motor but they weren't exactly(physically) the same, perhaps you have one such motor fitted? Post a pic and "we" will tell you what your original motor is...

There is no difference between a series 3 wiper motor and a Defender one prior to the TD5.....

Many British cars of the 1960s and 1970s had a similar Lucas type motor but they weren't exactly(physically) the same, perhaps you have one such motor fitted? Post a pic and "we" will tell you what your original motor is...

Spot the difference.

I decided to stick with the Series III/Defender and make whatever modifications necessary.

post-3836-1184345088_thumb.jpg

Your original one is a very early "lucas" type motor, the new one is whats fitted to a series 3, and 90/110 up to TD5. You existing cable should fit onto the crank mechanism of the later motor.

By the way what was wrong with your old motor? Unless its burnt out they can usually be overhauled - usual faults are dried out bearings and worn out brushes. If the brush plate is the same as the round motor they can still be obtained new.

Your original one is a very early "lucas" type motor, the new one is whats fitted to a series 3, and 90/110 up to TD5. You existing cable should fit onto the crank mechanism of the later motor.

By the way what was wrong with your old motor? Unless its burnt out they can usually be overhauled - usual faults are dried out bearings and worn out brushes. If the brush plate is the same as the round motor they can still be obtained new.

I need a working vehicle as I'll be using it everyday and I thought buying a new one was the fastest option rather than fault finding, yes the old lucas still works but not great and where I come from there is no shortage of rain.

Anyway I fitted the new motor this morning it was straight forward enough I just have to make up a bracket for it and bed it in well. I think I'll just send the old one to a good home.

Does anyone have tips on how to get more energy out of the old individual lucas wiper motors as fitted to earlier 2's and 2A's, so that they can cope with more than just drizzle ?

Bill.

Strip down, clean and lube would be a good start.

Does anyone have tips on how to get more energy out of the old individual lucas wiper motors as fitted to earlier 2's and 2A's, so that they can cope with more than just drizzle ?

Bill.

Er...... how about replace them with a couple of 6 HP XP motors?? :lol:

But seriously, they were always pretty cr@p! I'd be inclined to replace with a series3 setup like Tonk has done on his 2a.

Jon

ser3 set up can be made to run through the windscreen holes that the 2a motors run through by shortening the centre tube between wiper boxes and reflaring.

the worst thing about 2a motors is u have to turn them on individually and they run out of sync with each other and you have to manually park them.

Just a tip to add, any mini, marina, or BL product used these motors, the advantage is that they are 2 speed units unlike the original series 3. I got one from the scrappy and made mine to run on two speeds with some additional wiring. Some gearboxes might have different ratios or throws, so i used the gearbox from the series and motor gubbins from a marina.

Grem