Steering through porridge

I went for a little greenlaning fun yesterday, as the first (very small) test for my vehicle. I have a number of issues to look at, but the most pressing is that the steering wheel seems to be connected to the steering box with a long strip of rubber.

I know that the 6 bolt power steering box was never particularly god, which is why they went back to the 4 bolt variety, but was it really THAT bad? 'Turbocharger' has had a look under the bonnet, whilst I take up the 3" play on the steering wheel, and tells me that the steering box needs adjusting, but can it really just be that, or do you think that it could be anything else. Has anybody here changed from the 6 bolt to the 4 bolt type steering box? If so, does it make much difference?

Cheers.

I went for a little greenlaning fun yesterday, as the first (very small) test for my vehicle. I have a number of issues to look at, but the most pressing is that the steering wheel seems to be connected to the steering box with a long strip of rubber.

I know that the 6 bolt power steering box was never particularly god, which is why they went back to the 4 bolt variety, but was it really THAT bad? 'Turbocharger' has had a look under the bonnet, whilst I take up the 3" play on the steering wheel, and tells me that the steering box needs adjusting, but can it really just be that, or do you think that it could be anything else. Has anybody here changed from the 6 bolt to the 4 bolt type steering box? If so, does it make much difference?

Cheers.

Can't answer that box replacement question but in what condition are the universals in your steering shaft?

and yes i think you can adjust the box, there is a slotted screw on the top secured with a lock-nut....... The drop arm ball joint is also a place to look for play as well as all of the track rod ends..........

It helps to have an assistant and go thru things point by point..............

I lay underneath while Keir waved the steering repeatedly. All 4 TREs and the panhard rod bushes have no movement and the column UJs are fine. I suggest tightening the steering box but other than that I can't see why it wanders SO horribly. It really is undriveable at the moment.

Tracking?

Steering damper?

(I'm working through the Disco so can give quite a big list if needed but haven't found the cause of my probs yet either)

Ok then, have tightened the screw on the top of the steering box. Unfortunately, I tested to see if the steering had play in it before I tightened the locking nut up, so now have PAS fluid all over my drive :angry:

It is MUCH more driveable now, but makes something of a nasty sound whenever I move the steering wheel. Could this mean that it needs bleeding? If so, how do I go about that? I see a little nut/valve type arrangement next to the screw that I have just tightened up. Is it anything to do with that?

Thanks.

Ok then, have tightened the screw on the top of the steering box. Unfortunately, I tested to see if the steering had play in it before I tightened the locking nut up, so now have PAS fluid all over my drive :angry:

It is MUCH more driveable now, but makes something of a nasty sound whenever I move the steering wheel. Could this mean that it needs bleeding? If so, how do I go about that? I see a little nut/valve type arrangement next to the screw that I have just tightened up. Is it anything to do with that?

Thanks.

Groan is poss low PAS and air.

Next to the nut and lock nut is what looks like say a caliper brake nipple....its the bleeds, run engine at tickover, losen niplle, admire even mopre fliud on chassis floor etc, nip up, make sure resivor is full before and after you start...

Should do it

Nige

Groan is poss low PAS and air.

Next to the nut and lock nut is what looks like say a caliper brake nipple....its the bleeds, run engine at tickover, losen niplle, admire even mopre fliud on chassis floor etc, nip up, make sure resivor is full before and after you start...

Should do it

Nige

Thanks for that - I will try it. Is it just normal PAS fluid in there, or something different?

ATF = PAS = anything thin, red and runny (but not Ribena). As LR90 suggested, might also be worth a look to see if you've bent the trackrod yet :P

I'm pretty sure that I haven't bent anything underneath yet, but it could very easily be the steering damper. I tightened up the box yesterday, and it is MUCH MUCH better. Now it just makes a bit of a noise when I turn the steering wheel. Am going to bleed it today as soon as I have some more Ribena ATF. Thanks for all the help.

I'm pretty sure that I haven't bent anything underneath yet, but it could very easily be the steering damper. I tightened up the box yesterday, and it is MUCH MUCH better. Now it just makes a bit of a noise when I turn the steering wheel. Am going to bleed it today as soon as I have some more Ribena ATF. Thanks for all the help.

*idle thought mode on*

I wonder if MTF 94 would make the box smoother or last longer?

*idle thought mode off*