oil on my glow plugs????

dougstar

hi guys

i may be new but i've sur got a few problems i could do with a hand on,

i,ve just managed to get my air con compressor out of the way then made my way on to the 2nd heat plug covered in wet oil;!!

then on to the 3rd heat plug yep you guessed it oil again, proper oil as in out the bottom of the sump!

i have come to the conclusion in mysmall experience of engine work that my head gasket has blown, or the only other alternative being rings! :o

my baby has done over 170000 miles and pretty sure the rings never been done or any kind of overhaul, does anyone think while i,m in changing the head gasket shall i just bite the bullet and drop the lump out and give it a full overhaul gaskets,rings the full sh-bang and do the job properly?

hope someone has some good advice for me.

thanks.

hi guys

i may be new but i've sur got a few problems i could do with a hand on,

i,ve just managed to get my air con compressor out of the way then made my way on to the 2nd heat plug covered in wet oil;!!

then on to the 3rd heat plug yep you guessed it oil again, proper oil as in out the bottom of the sump!

i have come to the conclusion in mysmall experience of engine work that my head gasket has blown, or the only other alternative being rings! :o

my baby has done over 170000 miles and pretty sure the rings never been done or any kind of overhaul, does anyone think while i,m in changing the head gasket shall i just bite the bullet and drop the lump out and give it a full overhaul gaskets,rings the full sh-bang and do the job properly?

hope someone has some good advice for me.

thanks.

how does the truck run?

do u get blue smoke on:-

a ) only on start up then clears

b ) when booting it eg up a hill

c ) on over run eg off the power coming down a hill

d ) all of the above :ph34r:

if you take the oil filler cap off does the engine breath through it (is there a pressure trying to push the cap off)?

is there lots of oil in the top inter cooler hose ?

I would check out the above before jumping in and pulling the engine out :) if the truck is running ok then and there is very little/no blue smoke then i wouldn't worry to much there are prob lots of of other bits that need attention :D

Both of my last to 300tdi cracked the oil ring on number 4 cyl, i also found this by changing the glow plugs.

But there was no excess smoke, or lack of power of unusual oil consumption.

Engine can be stripped and rebuilt whilst in the car nice and simple engine to work on.

Lynall

Both of my last to 300tdi cracked the oil ring on number 4 cyl, i also found this by changing the glow plugs.

But there was no excess smoke, or lack of power of unusual oil consumption.

Engine can be stripped and rebuilt whilst in the car nice and simple engine to work on.

Lynall

yeah same here lynall,

no excess smoke and i have dropped less than 5mm of oil on the dipstick in 6000 miles!

however....i do not seem to be as quick on the take off as friends with the same motor and also seem to be forever knocking it around the gearbox when i am towing my pikey van!

also do you/anyone think it could have something to do with the crankcase ventalation valve?? would this not re-circuilate the oil (thus lot losing much) around the head if it was blocked or siezed shut??

like i said in previos messages i am very much a begineer and have only experience in stripping 2 stroke bike engines!

It is not unusual to get oil on the glow plugs when you pull them. I can't say that it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't worry about that unless there are other symptoms which you can really worry about. If it goes ok without a lot of smoke, starts ok when cold without a lot of smoke, then it normally is ok.

You should check that the glow plug actually works while you have it out - put it in a vice and use jump leads to connect it up. It should glow quickly at the tip. If it glows half way down the plug tip then it won't work as only the very tip is in the cylinder. Preferably use OEM Beru plugs - the 'county' ones only last about 6 months at the best.

oily/sooty looking glow plugs usually mean the plug isn't working as when they are working they burn any such deposits off very quickly

unless temps are well down towards freezing a 300Tdi starts quite well even without the plugs connected so it is entirely possible!