Timing belt tesioner adjustment - Which type Torque meter?

Baldrick

I'm changing my timing belt (200tdi) at the moment. Manual says to use dial type torque meter. I ordered one off Diff Lock 11 days ago and it has not turned up. Have tried to contact them but no response to email and won't answer phone (not sure if they are affected by the flooding)

I'm under pressure to get the job finished and wondered of anyone has done the job with a micrometer (click) type torque meter? I can't get a dial type here in Ireland with out spending a couple of hundred euro........... sad but true.......

I have looked at Les's article in the Tech Archive and he appears to use a micometer type. As I havn't changed one before, I wary of doing it with out the proper tool for fear of the belt snapping prematurely in 20K miles

Help!

Guest diesel_jim

Once you've done a few of them, you kind of get the feel for how tight it's got to be. (about 15lb IIRC, which is really just tighter than "hand tight")

you can use a click type guage, i think the reason they reccomend a dial type, is that you can hold a constant pressure while you nip up the bolt on the tensioner.

so, if you're careful, pull on the click type until it clicks, then make sure you don't pull any more and don't release any pressure, whilst you tighten up the tensioner.

I use the click type to do it. As Jim says, as soon as it clicks, tighten the bolt. The reason they recommend the dial type is that you can tighten beyond the click with a normal torque wrench, but as long as you're careful and stop as soon as it clicks, then everything will be fine.

Les.

I use the click type to do it. As Jim says, as soon as it clicks, tighten the bolt. The reason they recommend the dial type is that you can tighten beyond the click with a normal torque wrench, but as long as you're careful and stop as soon as it clicks, then everything will be fine.

Les.

Isn't there a slight release of torque when it clicks though?

Isn't there a slight release of torque when it clicks though?

I don’t think the precise torque is that important ………… I bet the tolerance is quite wide.

There is a vast difference in tension between a whining belt (too tight) and a flapping belt (Like a low frequency vibrating noise………Too Loose)……..

All three of my torque wrenches are Norbar ………. Bloody good VFM…. ;)

:)

Ian

I got a dial type one from my local motor factors for about 15 quid. Did the job no problem.

Where abouts in Ireland are you? Fill in your profile!

Profile filled in. I'm in Dublin. I've been to every tool store and auto factors with no success. I'll wait until Thursday to see if the Draper one I ordered from Difflock turns up, and I can't find one somewhere else I'll do it with the click type. If you can suggest anywhere I can get one I'd apprciate it

Profile filled in. I'm in Dublin.

If you can suggest anywhere I can get one I'd apprciate it

ok, after a bit of research, mine is a beam type torque wrench.

looks like this:

KD2955-L.jpg

Made by Draper or Sealey or some such. Cheap, simple and does the job. Sorry I don't know any places in Dublin, but it was in the tools catalog in my local place in Dundalk.

I'm heading to City West on Thursday morning.

If you want, and can meet me somewhere near my route, Dundalk to City West (via M50, airport to Naas road) in the morning, returning in the evening), I can lend you mine if you want.

Let me know.

Cheers.

Food for thought- somebody at work pointed out to me today that the 'click' type torque wrench can click at the wrong torque based on where you hold the handle, especially if the 'click' pivot is far from the nut or bolt you're tightening. No contribution to this discussion but bears mention if torque is absolutely critical.

torque wrenches MUST be held at the handgrip to obtain a correct reading otherwise the leverage will exert a diffferent torque to the one you have set.

Makes sense to my dog brain for the beam type, where the shaft flexes and the dial is at the handle end.

But for the clickers I would have said the torque at the actual clicker was the same regardless of where on the handle the torque was applied.

Happy to be told otherwise though.

This info from Norbar may help here

and this torque calculator http://www.norbar.com/torquetensioncalculator.php

Apply a smooth even pull when applying torque pressure, by holding the torque wrench at the centre of the handle and smoothly apply the required force at right angles to the wrench. If chattering or a jerking motion occurs during final torque
lifted from good engineering practices Happy nut torquing :D