Primer and Paint in General

Matt80

Hi guys

Im slowly stripping the the layers back on a new tub and roof for the series.

So im going to be doing the rest of the old girl at the same time, but im confused on paint.

Aly body needs etch primer ?? have had a look but there are loads of types.

And im looking for some dark blue and white also.

So the question is

Anybody know of a good paint supplier mail order or local to hertfordshire that can help me out.??

Thx guys

Matt

P.S im still quite new to this so sorry for the daft question :D

Having tried many things on the 109 I eventually got some U-Pol "Barcoat" from a local spray shop, god knows what it's made of but it sticks like the preverbial to just about everything (and eats foam rollers) and is designed to be a barrier between old paint/filler/metal and new stuff. I used a couple of litres and still have a bit left should you want a bit to try. I think you're supposed to spray it but I just thinned it a twitch and rollered/brushed it.

barcoat%20tin.jpg

Here we have a liberal coating of it on the 109:

post-21-1185298018_thumb.jpg

Before this I tried:

• Acid etch primer - only available in spray cans it seems, damn expensive way to paint a car
  • Zinc Phosphate primer - very good on steel, useless on ali or painted bits.
  • Grey primer - doesn't really stick
  • Red oxide primer - doesn't really stick
  • Hammerite special metals primer - OK but reacts with some things
  • Paint straight on it - better than expected but can react with old paint and doesn't like especially shiny bits of ali

Being a purist as I am B) I painted it over the top of some of the original paints that were on the 109 so I can say confidently it covers and sticks to new ali, old ali, steel, rust, LR paint, MOD paint, Dulux, filler, Sikaflex, Halfords spray paint, 2-pack, stonechip, all of the primers I listed above, and hands, clothes, and glasses :rolleyes:

Oh and your best bet is to buy el cheapo foam rollers (B&Q do packs of 10) and throw them away after each stint, even if you could be bothered to clean them the Barcoat seems to degrade the foam so you find the roller can disintegrate with a bit of enthusiastic use.

Edit: On looking at U-Pol's website they do sell tins of acid etch but every paint factors and spray shop I went to denied all knowledge of such a thing! <_<

acid8l.jpg

Guest WALFY

When I carried out my concourse rebuild :D . I went to Hickley Valtone in Taunton. They also have a shop in Bridgewater. Got my transport paint, goes on 99% of stuff and is chip resistant (ish) well if it's good enough for lorrys it's good enough for me. Acid 8 was the etch primer of choice. Etch primers as far as I know have to be sprayed on. But I'm sure a grownup will be along soon to confirm that. And it stinks like buggery. :o

Look in your local yellow pages for auto paint suppliers, once you have located one go in and have a chat to them bearing in mind it's best to stick to one manufacturer's paint system. I used to use a place in St Albans and another in Watford but I've been away from there for quite a few years now so they may have closed down for all I know.

I recently had some tricky paint matching to do and used Leonard Brooks in Harlow who did an excellent match to sample. They will also still supply cellulose and do mail order too - good service allround.

Barcote is a barrier paint - designed to prevent a reaction between one type of paint and the bling you are about to apply to your truck.

med_gallery_2_315_659923.jpg

Etch primer should be applied to bare alloy - it has an acid content that eats into the bare metal and provides a key for the next coat, such as normal primers or zinc - based primers. It is available in non-aerosol form, as shown here, but will also require an activator if you want it to set before xmas!

med_gallery_2_315_721574.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_472882.jpg

Then normal primer or hi-build/filler primer for those annoying little dints :D

med_gallery_2_315_607464.jpg

Zinc 182 is a good quality, very hard primer (it goes off damn quick if it's a bit warm though!)

med_gallery_2_315_253672.jpg

Les.

When I carried out my concourse rebuild :D . I went to Hickley Valtone in Taunton. They also have a shop in Bridgewater. Got my transport paint, goes on 99% of stuff and is chip resistant (ish) well if it's good enough for lorrys it's good enough for me. Acid 8 was the etch primer of choice. Etch primers as far as I know have to be sprayed on. But I'm sure a grownup will be along soon to confirm that. And it stinks like buggery. :o

I also use Hickley Valtone - they have several outlets in the SW :)

Acid 8 does appear to need spraying - i have both sprayed and brushed and the spray finish was 100% perfect, the brush was carp!