How to remove 8 spoke centres?

muddy

Hiya, i am trying to 'turn' my 8 spokes by taking the centres out and reverseing them, i have ground the 4 welds out so that i can see a line down the middle where the centre meets the rim, i then tried hitting it with a sledge hammer before standing the back end on the jcb on it and it just wont budge, so what am i doin wrong?

Any tips? are any spot welded or flush riveted or similer??

Grind until you can see a hairline crack all the way through the welds (you actaully need to grind into the rim slightly). When I did mine I then sat a large log into the centre to protect it from hammer marks, and then beat the cr@p out of it with a sledge hammer. They do move eventually! If the rims are second hand then they can be hard to get moving. Brand new rims are alot easier to get apart! Once you've separated them you need to weld up the grinder marks in the rim and linish to make good before you re-fit the centres.

HTH

Jon

Gidday,

After trying the grinder/bash it/grind it more/bash it again/bend the centre method on one rim, I found a local engineer with a BIG lathe and had the rest spun off. You still need to apply BFH but not as much and you don't cut into the rim.

Hiya, i am trying to 'turn' my 8 spokes by taking the centres out and reverseing them, i have ground the 4 welds out so that i can see a line down the middle where the centre meets the rim, i then tried hitting it with a sledge hammer before standing the back end on the jcb on it and it just wont budge, so what am i doin wrong?

Any tips? are any spot welded or flush riveted or similer??

As Jon said, a total PITFA of a job! The trick if your grinding is to cut a little below the ine of the weld and go a little into the shell. I found it was a case of grind, place log into the centre and beat with sledge hammer, check for hairline cracks and then repeat until cracks formed at all 4 welds.