Can someone clarify..........?

Hi,

Further to my previous post about transfer box ratios, I have now been offered one which is supposed to be a 1.222 ratio. Having asked the seller for the serial number he came back with 29D0358. According to the Ashcroft, serial numbers begining with 29D are from V8 90 LT85 gearboxes and have a ratio of 1.192. Can someone (perhaps Mr. Ashcroft) what the position is and if this box will bolt straight onto my LT77. I would have thought that a ratio of 1.192 would be better than 1.222 but also there is the issue of age. I would have thought that this t/box might be older then the 1.222.

thanks

Ta Ralph. I was interested in whether Trev had noticed much difference going from the 1.67 to the 1.192 to make the change worthwhile. With regards to the GKN, what is the improvement like? Is it like having the 1.22 or better? Obviously the GKN has the benefit of being selectable but it is a lot more expensive than €250 for the transfer box. Whats your opinion?

Thanks very much for clarifying that. Trev, did you notice any significant improvement in the cruising speed to make the change worthwhile?

Ged

My changes were for other reasons. The 1.192 was fitted with 4.7 diffs to reduce the overlap between hi and low range and give acceptable onroad gears with a nice low lowbox.

gearing.jpg

Graph shows speeds at 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000rpm with 35" tyres.

Ta Ralph. I was interested in whether Trev had noticed much difference going from the 1.67 to the 1.192 to make the change worthwhile. With regards to the GKN, what is the improvement like? Is it like having the 1.22 or better? Obviously the GKN has the benefit of being selectable but it is a lot more expensive than €250 for the transfer box. Whats your opinion?

the GKN OD Ashcroft's not sure what that would be in Euro's.

fitted mine over a weekend & love it. IIRC JST did a write up of his OD use but I can't find it. gives similar results to having the 1.222 ratio but with the option of not having to loose the existing ratio's of the standard system.