Largest width tires

XtremeMarineInc

I have purchased a set of 6 16" x 6" rims to replace my 15" 's. I want the tallest tires I can fit on them. My concern is not having too wide of a width for the 6" wide rim. I am looking at 35 x 10.5 x 16 Interco TSL Boggers. I don't think this will be too wide of a tire considering the truck will be for off-road use only.

Are any of you running a 10.5 " wide tire on a 6" wide rim?

You'd be better off with at least 7x16's if not 8x16's. The 6's are too narrow really. Interco recommends an 8x16 for this size tire.

You'll probably need custom rims with that size unless you're running odd axles as else you'll end up with bugger all steering lock. You'll also snap standard rear shafts like twiglets!

Jon

I have purchased a set of 6 16" x 6" rims to replace my 15" 's. I want the tallest tires I can fit on them. My concern is not having too wide of a width for the 6" wide rim. I am looking at 35 x 10.5 x 16 Interco TSL Boggers. I don't think this will be too wide of a tire considering the truck will be for off-road use only.

Are any of you running a 10.5 " wide tire on a 6" wide rim?

The TSL Bogger page on the Interco website Bogger

recommends 8" wide rims so your 6s are probably too narrow. Too wide or too narrow a rim can stress sidewalls beyond design limits & cause failure, hence why these recommended sizes are specified. Whether or not your 6s would is anybodys guess & the fact that someone else is running them may not be a recommendation either. As you say, its not for highway use so if it all goes pair shaped you're not going to put the general public at risk. My gut feeling is you would be better off with at least a 7" rim, others may disagree.

Steve.

Yeah, thanks guys. I was looking at their website page, and I saw the recommended sizes. I was just wondering if any of the members had run tires of that size. I used to run a few different tire shops, and we always recommended a 7" width for 10.5's. But I was thinking of buying a set of weld on beadlocks. But the TSL tire is almost as good of a tread pattern, and comes in a 34 x 9 x 16 size recommended for a 6.5 inch width rim. I think I'll go with those.

Does anyone have experience with the TSL's in heavy mud conditions on a series?

Thanks again.

Er.......yeah but doesnt he run on somthing just a tad larger than 34's???

On the same note Paul was running TSL's on Piggy for a while and Piggy is a series too if you're palying that game!!!

Seriously though i dont know of anyone running super swampers on any sort of leaf sprung series anywhere. They've only recently been available over here anyway, and are of questionable legality on the road over here as they're not E marked.

Jon

Bear in mind that if you're running series rims on a series axle you'll struggle with anything much bigger than a 7.50x16 as you'll end up with no steering lock because the tyres will rub on the chassis rails and/or springs. You'll also struggle with rear suspension travel as 7.50's will rub badly on the tops of the rear arches when flexed up.

Jon

I've thought about that. 7.50 should be around a 32-33 sizing. 8.25x16 is a 34 if calculations are correct. But I can't find 8.25 stateside. Even 7.50 is hard to source here. A 7 x 16 is too small.

Between the military shackles, the 2 leaf front and rear parabolis, and the SOA conversion; I should not have any problems except the steering hitting on full lock.

7.50x16 is about 31". 9.00x16 is about 34" (but 9.00's actually vary wildly in size).

You'll need to run rims with lots of offset to space them out from the chassis to get your steering lock back. I'm running rims with 6" of backspacing.

Jon

Well, after copious amounts of research; I have found the solution. Trying to have the best bang for the buck, but keeping it on a budget. I am going to order a Do it Yourself beadlock kit from Straight Forward suppliers in the UK. Anybody have experience with this company? They look like they seriously know their business. Using their kit , I will increase the width of my wheels effectively by 1.5 to 2 inches. This will easily allow me to use the Boggers in the 10.5 width. And I'll be able to run low pressures in the muddy swamps we have here. I would love thir double beadlockers; but just way out of my price league. lol.

Well, after copious amounts of research; I have found the solution. Trying to have the best bang for the buck, but keeping it on a budget. I am going to order a Do it Yourself beadlock kit from Straight Forward suppliers in the UK. Anybody have experience with this company? They look like they seriously know their business. Using their kit , I will increase the width of my wheels effectively by 1.5 to 2 inches. This will easily allow me to use the Boggers in the 10.5 width. And I'll be able to run low pressures in the muddy swamps we have here. I would love thir double beadlockers; but just way out of my price league. lol.

It seems people are having mixed experiences with Straightforward, especially getting in contact with them. Also there seems to be varying opinions on whether they do actually know their stuff

I got my weld on beadlocks from a guy called Gary Andrews, he sells them at £100 for a set of ten rings, far cheaper than Straightforward

He has posted them for sale recently on the Devon 4x4 forum, maybe you could contact him on there

Link