Snorkel

I'd like to fit a snorkel to my '02 110 and would be grateful for your opinions of this Paddocks item: http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_ROAD/S...300TDI/TD5.html

as opposed to this from Mantec: http://www.mantec.co.uk/store_viewItem.cfm...mp;CategoryID=1

Clearly there's a big difference in price, is it worth paying the extra?

Thanks,

Phil.

Guest diesel_jim

The mantec one is made from plastic, so won't rust (although they also do steel ones like the paddocks one)

depends on what you prefer asthetically really, i like the steel ones, don't like the placcy one, but thats just my personal choice.

don't think they make much difference performance wise (as in, strangling the engine)

they both work, so it's really down to you which one you want. I personally find the abs plastic ones take knocks from trees etc better and of course they don't rust ;)

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, both, I recognise the advantage of the plastic version which won't rust but I do prefer the appearance of the metal one!

Is there any difference in ease of fitting, or any other advantage of one over the other?

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks, both, I recognise the advantage of the plastic version which won't rust but I do prefer the appearance of the metal one!

Is there any difference in ease of fitting, or any other advantage of one over the other?

Cheers,

Phil.

I've got the mantec version on my 110. (300tdi)

Wacked the top against a tree once, but after copious amounts of no more nails (being a plastic snorkle, not much else sticks) I got it together again by sticking the metal 'grill' at the bottom of the mushroom top back in. Plastic was a bit dented, but get out a hairdryer/heat gun and remould it to shape!

Absolute pain to seal up, especially where it goes through the wing. Don't forget all the internal pipes.

It does state in the Mantec instructions that it is NOT a snorkle, rather a 'raised air intake'. They still state maximum wading depth is the standard landrover one - 50cm or whatever it is. Apparently kit was designed purely for use in dusty climes. I found this out after feeding my engine some lovely welsh water. 1 x replacement engine later......... :ph34r::ph34r:

I reckon you will get a better seal (with silicon or whatever you use) on metal than you do on the plastic ones.

I've got the mantec version on my 110. (300tdi)

Wacked the top against a tree once, but after copious amounts of no more nails (being a plastic snorkle, not much else sticks) I got it together again by sticking the metal 'grill' at the bottom of the mushroom top back in. Plastic was a bit dented, but get out a hairdryer/heat gun and remould it to shape!

Absolute pain to seal up, especially where it goes through the wing. Don't forget all the internal pipes.

It does state in the Mantec instructions that it is NOT a snorkle, rather a 'raised air intake'. They still state maximum wading depth is the standard landrover one - 50cm or whatever it is. Apparently kit was designed purely for use in dusty climes. I found this out after feeding my engine some lovely welsh water. 1 x replacement engine later......... :ph34r::ph34r:

I reckon you will get a better seal (with silicon or whatever you use) on metal than you do on the plastic ones.

James, thanks you, that's very helpful indeed. I want a snorkel rather than a raised air intake so the choice seems clear.

How nice too that it's the cheaper option!

Cheers,

Phil.

James, thanks you, that's very helpful indeed. I want a snorkel rather than a raised air intake so the choice seems clear.

How nice too that it's the cheaper option!

Cheers,

Phil.

You can use it for wading - its just thats not what it was originally intended for. You just needs lots of silicon selant and patience, and don't forget, whatever brand you get, you need to seal up the airbox (full of gaps around seams), seal up the rubber drain bung in the bottom of the airbox, and seal all the air pipes in the engine bay, which can be a real fiddle.

Worth having a look at the Southdown ones - I know 2 people with them and they're very good! And if you hang on until odbury there's a guy there who sells them at decent money!

You can use it for wading - its just thats not what it was originally intended for. You just needs lots of silicon selant and patience, and don't forget, whatever brand you get, you need to seal up the airbox (full of gaps around seams), seal up the rubber drain bung in the bottom of the airbox, and seal all the air pipes in the engine bay, which can be a real fiddle.

Worth having a look at the Southdown ones - I know 2 people with them and they're very good! And if you hang on until odbury there's a guy there who sells them at decent money!

How is the Southdown one fitted? A picture on the Southdown website suggests the snorkel goes through the top of the nearside wing rather that connecting to to the factory intake on the side of the offside wing. I understand Southdown supplies pipework to connect the snorkel to the airbox, is that correct?

Phil.

How is the Southdown one fitted? A picture on the Southdown website suggests the snorkel goes through the top of the nearside wing rather that connecting to to the factory intake on the side of the offside wing. I understand Southdown supplies pipework to connect the snorkel to the airbox, is that correct?

Phil.

The ones I have seen are disco ones, but they did come with all the pipework....I think. Or could have been the Safari one.

If looking at the Paddocks one, have a look at Rebel 4x4 as its the identical twin sister, but may be cheaper.

Worth doing a search on here for this topic, or more specifically sealing them up. Probably in the tech archive, but its very good.

The ones I have seen are disco ones, but they did come with all the pipework....I think. Or could have been the Safari one.

If looking at the Paddocks one, have a look at Rebel 4x4 as its the identical twin sister, but may be cheaper.

Worth doing a search on here for this topic, or more specifically sealing them up. Probably in the tech archive, but its very good.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...ntake&st=20

I've got a Southdown for my 200TDI equipped hybrid and have been v impressed, especially when I got a bit silly at 7S and ended up kissing a few trees with it reversing out...

I got it direct from Dave at Southdown.

Jos

The twin gasket seal to the wing for the mantec snorkel is fine for wading. Two piece plastic enclosure on inside of wing needs sealing together with Sikaflex and my flexy pipe needed an additional jubilee clip. Water trap is in flexi-hose (not air box on TD5) can be easily removed or cleaned out as it functions as designed. Air box didn't need sealing on mine as the plastic moudled unit didn't have any gaps.

Cheers

Steve

The twin gasket seal to the wing for the mantec snorkel is fine for wading. Two piece plastic enclosure on inside of wing needs sealing together with Sikaflex and my flexy pipe needed an additional jubilee clip. Water trap is in flexi-hose (not air box on TD5) can be easily removed or cleaned out as it functions as designed. Air box didn't need sealing on mine as the plastic moudled unit didn't have any gaps.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks everyone, clearly that the most important thing is to fit the snorkel properly so perhaps it doesn't matter so much which one I choose so long as I get plenty of sealant with it!!

Just to be akward, I don't like either of them - both stick out the side, which although easy to fit means you can rip it off against a tree (and depending how secure it is, take half your wing with it).

I would buy a Mantec top for £25 and then get to the drainpipe section at B&Q. Amazing what you can get for £20 in there.

I've got a Southdown for my 200TDI equipped hybrid and have been v impressed, especially when I got a bit silly at 7S and ended up kissing a few trees with it reversing out...

I got it direct from Dave at Southdown.

Jos

Jos

Never follow anyone who has big dents in their truck ;) ;) . You'll get into allsorts of trouble. Are you going back to 7S with Shires in mid Sept

Just to be akward, I don't like either of them - both stick out the side, which although easy to fit means you can rip it off against a tree (and depending how secure it is, take half your wing with it).

I would buy a Mantec top for £25 and then get to the drainpipe section at B&Q. Amazing what you can get for £20 in there.

I agree (with most of that) :)

Get a southdown snorkel or do as fridge suggested.

Snorkel tube => flexi => Airfilter means only two joints to seal (though check your airfilter).

The ones that come out of the wing can get scraped off (done that) and a LOT more difficult to seal.

I agree (with most of that) :)

Get a southdown snorkel or do as fridge suggested.

Snorkel tube => flexi => Airfilter means only two joints to seal (though check your airfilter).

The ones that come out of the wing can get scraped off (done that) and a LOT more difficult to seal.

I understand the point about snorkels that stick out of the wing. Does anyone know how the Southdown snorkel fits a TD5?

Phil.

I just built a snorkel for the disco...

I found that Southdown have been selling seconds of their tops and the wing pieces reasonably cheaply on eBlag Southdown eBlag Shop. Personally, I think the Southdown tops are much nicer than the mantec flowerpots...

As I happened to have a piece of 2.5" stainless tube in roughly the right shape I used that and some bits of samco hose to join it all up, and it actually looks pretty neat...

Cheers

Mark

As it happens I've just finished re-fitting the snorkel to the 109 (rain stopped play :( ) so here's a photo - I'll admit it's not super elegant but it was cheap - three bends in some 2.5" SS exhaust pipe from exhaust monkeys, a shop soiled Mantec top, three exhaust clamps and a bit of bent strip to make the top bracket.

Joiny-uppy hoses from LR (Series diesel air cleaner "elephant trunk" hose about £10) and Hyphose (Wyrem 70mm ID ducting to meet 200TDi air filter mouth), joined with a drainpipe elbow-joiny-bit from Wickes.

post-21-1187276498_thumb.jpg

If I did it again (and didn't therefore have a hole in the side of my bonnet already) I'd use a straight bit of 3" pipe, no bends and just some Wyrem hose to join it up since the filter is now on the passenger side.