Kirton & Scorpian Challenge

streaky

I was flicking through a mag and noticed that there's a Scorpian Challenge going on at Kirton whilst I'm back in the UK at the end of September.

This is a two day event and I wondered if it's worth going to? I've not been to a proper winch challenge before.

Is it good for spectators or will I be ushered around by neo-nazi marshals with a power complex?

I'd propably only go for a single day...it's on the A1-M where ever that is? Which would be a good day...day 1 or day 2? Is the vehicle attrician rate quite high on these events...hence day 1 would have more vehicles.

Any thoughts welcome or would it be a waste of time?. I only have 7 days and wouldn't want to waste the only weekend I have back home.

Thx,

S.

As the organiser of this event I may be a little biased but I will try and shed a little light on what to expect.

We are aiming to make this an extremely spectator friendly event, the whole central spine of the site will be cordoned off to make a vehicle free spectator viewing area so you get around the site with ease and no danger. This doesn't mean that you will be herded around, you will be free to move around at your own pace.

There will be 10 key stages situated immediately off this area where the main action will take place. If you don't witness some of the most extreme off-roading on these sections then I will be very surprised. Each section will feature a number of punches which the teams will have to collect twice on each day so there should be plenty to keep everyone occupied.

In addition there will be a number of standalone punches which may be out of viewing range but will add to the fun for the competitors.

The entry list currently sits at around 40 vehicles, the attrition rate is not so high but it is impossible to predict whether the course will get easier or harder by the 2nd day. Personally I would probably opt for Day 1 when the teams are new to the sections and the site and are getting to grips with what is on offer.

There will be toilets, catering and a bar so every convenience should be catered for.

Marshals will be present to ensure fair play by the competitors and to ensure that the spectators remain safe - which is our main priority.

From my perspective this is an attempt to shift challenge events from a private gathering in a muddy hole to a mainstream spectator event held in a safe yet exciting environment.

Hope this helps

Worth coming to have a look.......... <_< , well i'm competing and i'll be giving 110% as always :P and will i last the 2 days..... who's to say last time i lasted 1hr but i'd rather get out there and have a go (even for an hour) than sit in my comfy arm chair and talk/bitch about it.

IMHO i'm hoping for a top weekend, i've been to the site before and hopefully you will see some top driving (my case average) at a very good site.

As the host of this event, I may be a little bias also.....

Neil has gone to a lot of trouble in organising this event, he has crossed all the 't's and dotted the 'i's.

From the very begining he has emphasised the importance of the viewing public, with safe vantage points throughout all stages.

I imagine this will be perfect for the spectator.

this will be amusing - -you bring the spares - - and that would be a spare motor me thinks... and I shall bring the beer which we will require because we will be drunk be 1pm on saturday because we have broken both motors...

more wading as well... joy... wet suit time me thinks.

Worth coming to have a look.......... <_< , well i'm competing and i'll be giving 110% as always :P and will i last the 2 days..... who's to say last time i lasted 1hr but i'd rather get out there and have a go (even for an hour) than sit in my comfy arm chair and talk/bitch about it.

IMHO i'm hoping for a top weekend, i've been to the site before and hopefully you will see some top driving (my case average) at a very good site.

Looks like a go'er then.

I spoke to JW last night and he's up for it too.

Next Q. Where is Kirton? What's the next biggest town close by? I'll have to shuffle around a few flights to be sure of getting in Sunday...but I need a rough idea of the location etc.

Will there be a stand selling welly boots? I'm driving straight from the airport & my flip-flops don't do mud.

Thx.

S.

Looks like a go'er then.

I spoke to JW last night and he's up for it too.

Next Q. Where is Kirton? What's the next biggest town close by? I'll have to shuffle around a few flights to be sure of getting in Sunday...but I need a rough idea of the location etc.

Will there be a stand selling welly boots? I'm driving straight from the airport & my flip-flops don't do mud.

Thx.

S.

Kirton is HERE nearest biggest town is S****horpe