Jump to content

Fitting a disco 200Tdi to a defender bellhousing


Jon White
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thought this might be of interest:-

We all know that the disco 200Tdi doesnt match up very well to the defender gearbox. Here's what I did to make it fit better!

Counter bore the 4x bottom bolt holes where the bolts go through to the ladder frame to take M10 x 80 socket caps. I used a 16mm butterfly drill for this (thanks Tonk) to flat off the bottoms of the holes to take the bolts.

There are three existing blind holes in the bottom of the bellhousing that are not tapped. Drill and tap these M10 and fit studs to them. There is a stud at about 2 o'clock as you at the back of the engine that needs removing.

Finally remove and discard the 2x dowel pins that would locate the disco bellhousing to the flywheel housing.

Job done. Engine now bolts directly to the defender bellhousing, with no mods to the bellhousing, and no messing about swapping engine back plates over etc.

DSCF0226.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't you still lose one bolt where the clutch slave is? I suppose it's a trade off-between the amount of work needed to drill and tap the holes against changing the flywheel housing. If you are going to replace the crank rear seal while you are in there, then in reality it's drilling and tapping 4 x holes against undoing 6 more bolts to swap the housings. In the end I suppose it's what you prefer to do.

Les.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Les,

Yes you do need to lose the one by the slave cylinder. I just hadnt got that far when I took the photo!

I accept that changing the housing over is easier, but it isnt if you havnt got another housing to swap over! Mine was previously a V8 fitted via a conversion ring, so there was no housing available!

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I realize this is an old post, but if you don't sink those 4 bottom bolts, will any transmission work with the bolt sitting above the lip of the flywheel housing?

The pictures below are what I have, if thats any help.

Thanks

Thought this might be of interest:-

We all know that the disco 200Tdi doesnt match up very well to the defender gearbox. Here's what I did to make it fit better!

Counter bore the 4x bottom bolt holes where the bolts go through to the ladder frame to take M10 x 80 socket caps. I used a 16mm butterfly drill for this (thanks Tonk) to flat off the bottoms of the holes to take the bolts.

There are three existing blind holes in the bottom of the bellhousing that are not tapped. Drill and tap these M10 and fit studs to them. There is a stud at about 2 o'clock as you at the back of the engine that needs removing.

Finally remove and discard the 2x dowel pins that would locate the disco bellhousing to the flywheel housing.

Job done. Engine now bolts directly to the defender bellhousing, with no mods to the bellhousing, and no messing about swapping engine back plates over etc.

DSCF0226.JPG

post-6197-1236431449_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1236431578_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1236431619_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy