Fitting a disco 200Tdi to a defender bellhousing

Jon White

Thought this might be of interest:-

We all know that the disco 200Tdi doesnt match up very well to the defender gearbox. Here's what I did to make it fit better!

Counter bore the 4x bottom bolt holes where the bolts go through to the ladder frame to take M10 x 80 socket caps. I used a 16mm butterfly drill for this (thanks Tonk) to flat off the bottoms of the holes to take the bolts.

There are three existing blind holes in the bottom of the bellhousing that are not tapped. Drill and tap these M10 and fit studs to them. There is a stud at about 2 o'clock as you at the back of the engine that needs removing.

Finally remove and discard the 2x dowel pins that would locate the disco bellhousing to the flywheel housing.

Job done. Engine now bolts directly to the defender bellhousing, with no mods to the bellhousing, and no messing about swapping engine back plates over etc.

DSCF0226.JPG

Don't you still lose one bolt where the clutch slave is? I suppose it's a trade off-between the amount of work needed to drill and tap the holes against changing the flywheel housing. If you are going to replace the crank rear seal while you are in there, then in reality it's drilling and tapping 4 x holes against undoing 6 more bolts to swap the housings. In the end I suppose it's what you prefer to do.

Les.

Les,

Yes you do need to lose the one by the slave cylinder. I just hadnt got that far when I took the photo!

I accept that changing the housing over is easier, but it isnt if you havnt got another housing to swap over! Mine was previously a V8 fitted via a conversion ring, so there was no housing available!

Jon

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old post, but if you don't sink those 4 bottom bolts, will any transmission work with the bolt sitting above the lip of the flywheel housing?

The pictures below are what I have, if thats any help.

Thanks

Thought this might be of interest:-

We all know that the disco 200Tdi doesnt match up very well to the defender gearbox. Here's what I did to make it fit better!

Counter bore the 4x bottom bolt holes where the bolts go through to the ladder frame to take M10 x 80 socket caps. I used a 16mm butterfly drill for this (thanks Tonk) to flat off the bottoms of the holes to take the bolts.

There are three existing blind holes in the bottom of the bellhousing that are not tapped. Drill and tap these M10 and fit studs to them. There is a stud at about 2 o'clock as you at the back of the engine that needs removing.

Finally remove and discard the 2x dowel pins that would locate the disco bellhousing to the flywheel housing.

Job done. Engine now bolts directly to the defender bellhousing, with no mods to the bellhousing, and no messing about swapping engine back plates over etc.

DSCF0226.JPG

post-6197-1236431449_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1236431578_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1236431619_thumb.jpg