110 REAR SPRING ISOLATORS

66gaza

Trying to make my Rover camper quiter and was thinking about noise transmitted through the springs. I have seen some spring isolators for a Disco, they go inbetween the top of the spring and the spring seat and isolate the road noise from the vehicle. So do they work? has anyone taken them out of a car that had them or put them in a car that previously didn't and can give me a before and after real world comparison. Would expect to have to make some for a 110 rear so what would be the best material? Sorry about all the Q's just getting things off my chest.

Gaza

I have just removed them from my Disco as they were falling apart and I can safely say that on mine they made a big difference (so much so that I shall definately be getting new ones asap).

HTH

Pete.

It is interesting Pete that you notice a difference on the Disco. I would have thought the separate rubber mounted body of the Disco would have insulated it from the coil spring squeeks and driveline vibrations, unlike the hard mounted body of Defender type LandRovers and monocoque cars.

Bill.

Trying to make my Rover camper quiter and was thinking about noise transmitted through the springs. I have seen some spring isolators for a Disco, they go inbetween the top of the spring and the spring seat and isolate the road noise from the vehicle. So do they work? has anyone taken them out of a car that had them or put them in a car that previously didn't and can give me a before and after real world comparison. Would expect to have to make some for a 110 rear so what would be the best material? Sorry about all the Q's just getting things off my chest.

Gaza

Speak to Anton at OEC... he had some on his stand at Billing earlier this year. I think they were made by Superpro.

OEC International

Matt

I've used them on the 90s and they definitely make a difference especially if used front AND rear (the Disco is only supposed to have them on the rear springs). I have a set waiting to go on the front of the new 110 and am also looking for larger ones to go on the rear...

Genuine 90/Discovery ones:

post-33-1187868605.jpg

and am also looking for larger ones to go on the rear...

The Old Man Emu polyurethane trim packers should achieve the same thing and are available for larger 110 rear springs. IIRC they are about $10 for front and $12-13 for the larger rears in the US. I haven't seen them in UK, but I would think someone like Devon 4x4 could order and ship to you.

ome001%20014.jpg

Cheers

Steve

The Old Man Emu polyurethane trim packers should achieve the same thing and are available for larger 110 rear springs. IIRC they are about $10 for front and $12-13 for the larger rears in the US. I haven't seen them in UK, but I would think someone like Devon 4x4 could order and ship to you.

ome001%20014.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

That's the ones that OEC had on their stand... !

Matt

Excellent, glad to hear it makes a noticeable difference. Those trim packers look just the job. Bogmonster can you update this thread when you get a reply? As I am taking the springs off soon to put a lift in it would be nice to do this at the same time. Thanks Everyone.

Gaza

Got a reply and yes they are the Superpro spacer according to OEC:

"Yes I can help. Although it is not recommend or advised because because the spacers can dislodge upon disloation in land rovers, the Toyota Landcruiser spring spacers are the same diamete as LR 110 springs and therefore are often used as a spacer.

Therefore we can offer the following:

30mm superpro polyurethane spacer - £37.10 each + VAT (if applicable)"

Ouch, maybe not then at that price :blink: time to wait until I see a rolled Blandcruiser somewhere and whip out the socket set :lol:

I should imagine you bend the length of wire into the shape you want the conveyor belt, connect it to the jump leads and battery momentarily which then gets VF hot VF quickly, cuts through the belt and there you have your shaped bit of belt :)

I should imagine you bend the length of wire into the shape you want the conveyor belt, connect it to the jump leads and battery momentarily which then gets VF hot VF quickly, cuts through the belt and there you have your shaped bit of belt :)

Yep thats what i had in mind although if the belt had heavy duty webbing in it it could prove tricky although if you could melt the rubber i dare say you you could use a jigsaw or similer.

no sign of such a thing on the D4x4 website Steve - got a link to them anywhere? are they polyurethane or rubber or what?

They are polyurethane and 10mm in height. Drop Liz an email on address on website and ask to price them They are direct distributors for OME, so will be able to source them. One part no. is OME80PF10 but not sure if that's smaller or larger version. OME call them trim packers.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

Gaza

This old post came up doing a search for something else, as I had made my isolators I thought a pic was in order. Can't really tell yet if they have made a difference as I have a new engine in and I have put sound proofing on the bulkhead I didn't have before. Anyway they were real easy to make I just quickly cut them out of a piece of conveyor belt with a jigsaw. They are a bit rough & ready but thats me.

Gaza