VIN number help

Hi Steve, firstly Welcome to LR4x4.com, Please read the pinned info at the top line of the Defender forum, it'll help you get the best from the site.

as for VIN numbers, they decode like this I'll use mine for reference (but will leave off the actual 6 digit serial number) & use * instead just replace these with the last 6 digits of your VIN number

My 110 is a County SW 1989.

SALLDHMB7FA******

SAL is the World Manufacturers identifier which in this case is Land Rover UK

LD is the vehicle model range = Land Rover 90 or 110

H is the vehicles wheelbase in inches & = 110 ( a 90 will have a different letter code here, as will all the following depending on the actual vehicle)

M is body type, Station Wagon 4 doors ( hardtop/van & pick up types again have different code letters)

B is engine/fuel & size details type & in this case = 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel

7 is steering & gearbox -this = Rhd steering & 5 speed LT77 gearbox

FA is the model build year & location of build this one is Solihull 1989

the last 6 digits ****** = the chassis production line serial number.

one peculiar thing with 90/110 is the paint code it does not appear on the VIN plate rivetted to the brake pedal unit behind the servo, you'll have to ask a good main dealer which LR colour code applies to your vehicle.

the other numbers on the VIN plate correspond to the Max gross weight including a Trailer & the front & rear max axle weights.

hope that helps

:D

B

Hi Steve, firstly Welcome to LR4x4.com, Please read the pinned info at the top line of the Defender forum, it'll help you get the best from the site.

as for VIN numbers, they decode like this I'll use mine for reference (but will leave off the actual 6 digit serial number) & use * instead just replace these with the last 6 digits of your VIN number

My 110 is a County SW 1989.

SALLDHMB7FA******

SAL is the World Manufacturers identifier which in this case is Land Rover UK

LD is the vehicle model range = Land Rover 90 or 110

H is the vehicles wheelbase in inches & = 110 ( a 90 will have a different letter code here, as will all the following depending on the actual vehicle)

M is body type, Station Wagon 4 doors ( hardtop/van & pick up types again have different code letters)

B is engine/fuel & size details type & in this case = 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel

7 is steering & gearbox -this = Rhd steering & 5 speed LT77 gearbox

FA is the model build year & location of build this one is Solihull 1989

the last 6 digits ****** = the chassis production line serial number.

one peculiar thing with 90/110 is the paint code it does not appear on the VIN plate rivetted to the brake pedal unit behind the servo, you'll have to ask a good main dealer which LR colour code applies to your vehicle.

the other numbers on the VIN plate correspond to the Max gross weight including a Trailer & the front & rear max axle weights.

hope that helps

:D

B

Thanks for your reply, the pinned info is my next port of call.

My VIN looks like the following (with the last 6 numbers removed.

SALLDVBD7E******

So I have the

SAL

LD

V as it's a 90

B body shape

d 2.5l petrol

7 gearbox

E Build location

Does that sounds accurate?

Thanks

1 digit missing should be a 17 digits in a VIN. most likely the missing digit is a 'A'

so it would be

SALLDVBD7EA

which my info tells me is a 2.5 petrol,single carb, 90 3 door station wagon, 5 speed manual gearbox, right hand steering, built in the UK by LR @ Solihull about 1988 model year. :i-m_so_happy:

Hi Steve, that makes more sense with the missing A added, it decodes as I replied  above, it's the 'EA' bit which is the model year code that'll tell you if the parts are for your vehicle, most 90/110 parts are common across the range depending things like petrol engine, drum braked rear axle.

• 8 years later...