Wheel widths v tyre widths

pugwash

How do you work out the max width of tyre that you can fit on a wheel rim?

If i had a 8.5" rim what's the max i can get away with, and whats the max that would normally be recommended?

what's the limiting factor on puttin wide tyres on wheels? if you have beadlocks does it increase the max tyre width?

An 8.5x15 rim will be fine for a 33x12.50R15 but I think that is about the max width. you might stretch to a 13.50 but it is not a common size

basically if the tyre carcass is the wrong shape then it will wear oddly and might even damage the carcass, 265 section BFG MT's on narrow 5.5" rims are known to split around the middle of the tread after a year or two, to give one example

Beadlocks might stop it coming off the rim but wouldn't help the tyre to be the right shape :)

I am not sure how I came across it but back in the 70s or 80s I seem to remember a recommendation from Michelin that the ideal was a rim width that was 80% of the tyre width. I have no idea of max or minimum limits, I would work on what looks right probably is.

My particular interest was in being able to have reliable low tyre pressures for soft sand. I used the above recommendation and had reasonable success.

jw