Punctures - am I just unlucky?

I had a puncture about 3 months ago running over a 3" screw at speed on the bypass. I suppose that is just bad luck.

This morning I set off and thought my PAS pump must be knackered. Then decided to stop and front N/S tyre flat. I am pretty sure it was OK last night.

I do not know yet whether I ran over something in the first 100m from my house or if it was flat when I started (it was 0600h and no I did not do a visual check before I set off). Perhaps when I get a chance to examine I will find what did it.

My tyres are new (brand new the week before first puncture (ouch)) and I tend to use 30psi at front and 35psi at back. They are tubed.

Is this just bad luck; am I doing something wrong; or is it just one of the ongoing joys of land rover ownership?

Best wishes

Malcy

You say they are tubed, are they tube type tyres or tyres with tubes in? Sorry if that sounds daft but tubeless tyres with tubes in have a reputation for chafing the tubes inside them & causing punctures. Proper tubeless tyres are made smoother inside. Something to keep in mind depending on what you find when you get this latest one fixed.

Steve.

Thanks Steve - this gets better and better.

I took it to another branch of Quik Fit this time and they said the tyre is tubeless and should not have tube in anyway. They also commented that the tube fitted had a thinwall valve whereas if you do fit it should be a thickwall valve. So I now have three tyres with tube/thickwall valve, one tyre with tube/thinwall valve and my spare which has no tube.

I do not anticipate doing much off roading but would love to try and had been told that you needed tube in but the Quik Fit guysaid this was not the case except with early Series and their thinner wheels.

Who and what can you believe?!?!??!

Malcy

Thanks Steve - this gets better and better.

I took it to another branch of Quik Fit this time and they said the tyre is tubeless and should not have tube in anyway. They also commented that the tube fitted had a thinwall valve whereas if you do fit it should be a thickwall valve. So I now have three tyres with tube/thickwall valve, one tyre with tube/thinwall valve and my spare which has no tube.

I do not anticipate doing much off roading but would love to try and had been told that you needed tube in but the Quik Fit guysaid this was not the case except with early Series and their thinner wheels.

Who and what can you believe?!?!??!

Malcy

It sounds as though they've got it about right, standard LR series & 5.5" 90 & 110 rims do not have the ridge around them that is supposed to keep a tyre out against the rim flange in case of sudden deflation, so they should by rights not be run tubeless. Many people do as did I at one point & have no hassles but it could be a factor in case of a prang. Not sure what rims you have but if you have to run tubes in tubeless tyres, make sure there are no labels/tags inside the tyre to chaff the tube, & I have seen it mentioned that a really good quality tube like Michelin resist chaffing better. Long term though your best solution is properly matched rims & tyres. If you have tubeless rims then you can run them off road no worries unless you drop your pressures too much in search of better traction but thats a whole 'nuther debate as to what equates to too much & I don't have enough experience with this to venture an opinion.

Steve.

Malcy,

No need for tubes.

Mo

You dont get one then they all come at once, my 110 was off the road so i borrowed my brothers Disco to go to the Isle of Mull, going through Glasgow on the motorway i ran over one onf those cheap pallets held together with long staples I stopped and checked the tyre as soon as i could leave the M/w but no not a mark, by the time i got to Mull it had started to show signs of a leak so put on the spare, on my return home i took it into my local tyre man only to find it had 5 holes!!! they said £110 for a new tyre so i put some green slime (linseal) worked a treat, a week later i noticed the rear r/h tyre low so took that for check over, this time 7 punctures and £110 for new one, so more slime went in, 6 months later and its all still going well

Not sure about if i need to remove tyres but its worked well for me

Ziggy, what slime did you use ? I have a very slow puncture in my spare that could do with sealing.

Mo

I have used this before: (edited) Sorry - can't get the link working - just search for slime puncture on ebay and you'll get it...

with good results which you can fit and forget (it says it's good for 75mph, but I used some in a bike tyre once, forgot about it and did a track day... 130mph and it was fine - I am pleased to report :huh: )

This stuff is the type that has little black bits of (I think) unvulcanised rubber in it and is really very good.

Some modern cars don't have spare tyres any more since it is far lighter (and hence better for the planet in terms of fuel consumption) to have a small compressor and some of this stuff in the boot. Also means that since it has no spare, you can now get a set of golf clubs in an MX-5, which is (apparently) a big selling point :lol:

The only down-side of this of this stuff doesn't work too well (if at all) on side-wall punctures.

Still - with the average motorist only getting one puncture every seven years, and a large proportion of those being in the tread area, it's got to be an option worth considering...