Hi Wattage Bulbs - Can the wiring take it?

Ian K

No. Use the standard wiring to switch a relay and use thicker wire for the power side. Your lights will be brighter anyway if you can get something like 12v to the bulbs, which you can't do with the standard setup. Measure it and see!

Be very careful about using high wattage globes in a disco.

Even if you install relays to protect the electrical system, the reflector part of the lights are plastic (the lenses are glass) and don't like the heat that high wattage globes give off.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Seems like this is more trouble than it's worth......don't think I'll fit them.

Anyone want to buy 2 x 80/100w headlight bulbs- they'll heat the car in winter- from the back of the headlamp !!!

Ouch- wish I'd asked the question before buying !!

thanks all

Ian K

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Seems like this is more trouble than it's worth......don't think I'll fit them.

Anyone want to buy 2 x 80/100w headlight bulbs- they'll heat the car in winter- from the back of the headlamp !!!

Ouch- wish I'd asked the question before buying !!

thanks all

Ian K

And ain't they illegal for on road use on vehicles newer than 1986ish? :P:lol:

Don't know about the UK, but here we can find uprated (and CE-approved) 60/55W bulbs from GE. They are claimed to give up to 60% more light than a standard bulb. And they really make a difference - the light is much whiter. I have them in both Landys. B)

I am running 80/110W "Rally Blues" which cast a slightly greeny tint but are (as the name suggests) great for country lanes and the tint does make road markings etc. a bit clearer. Howerver, that's in a RR so I can only assume my wiring is of superior quality as it hasn't caught fire yet :unsure:

You can, as mentioned, get bulbs that produce more light for the same wattage, those would be fine with standard wiring.

If I was advising someone else I would say you need to uprate the wiring, however I might or might not (depending on who is reading! ;) ) have been running 80/100s in my 200 Tdi road car for some years now with no-side effects.

It does make a huge difference to the lighting - almost up to the standard of a more modern std car!

H

PS. I believe it technically does not adhere to the letter of the law for a vehicle of this age.

I run high wattage in my Clio (yet to buy a Disco :( ) and while they are illegal, I can at least see now as before they were horrendous, wishy washy French rubbish.

They are not so bright that I blind oncoming traffic and nowhere near as bright as legal HID's and my MOT tester said that they don't test lights to see if they are too bright, only if if they are too dim.

So, while they are not E rated for legal road use, I have had no problems.

And when i get my Disco my posts will be more relevent.

/Mad