Invite to flame ole'George

Shackleton

So I'm probably doing the cyber equivalent of bleeding in a swimming pool full of sharks but I wanna know about making my engine look nice :D

The Td5 lump I'm about to pull, clean, refresh and dump in my RRC has a decent level of tarnish on the alu bracketry and around the centrifuge etc. I want to clean it up but know that if I rub it or wire brush it I'm just priming it for worse oxidation. Is t here anything out there in a tube that forms a protective layer as you polish or something like that? Autosol? - is that the bare metal version of T-cut (oh I shudder even typing that name)

And I know I know, cover her in mud and all will be well but thats just not how I roll :D

*dusts off old reel to reel machine and pops on wartime duck and cover film*

So I'm probably doing the cyber equivalent of bleeding in a swimming pool full of sharks but I wanna know about making my engine look nice :D

The Td5 lump I'm about to pull, clean, refresh and dump in my RRC has a decent level of tarnish on the alu bracketry and around the centrifuge etc. I want to clean it up but know that if I rub it or wire brush it I'm just priming it for worse oxidation. Is t here anything out there in a tube that forms a protective layer as you polish or something like that? Autosol? - is that the bare metal version of T-cut (oh I shudder even typing that name)

And I know I know, cover her in mud and all will be well but thats just not how I roll :D

*dusts off old reel to reel machine and pops on wartime duck and cover film*

mud and plenty of it :huh:

When I spoke to BMW about keeping my newish car engine clean they told me NOT to clean the Ali bits as it would start corroding for ever more.

Better to wipe with an oily cloth (finding spare oil to wipe over can't be a problem on a chip fat burner) :D

A good alloy wheel cleaner (like Wonder wheels) and a stiff brush will clean it off well. I know this from doing the ally chequer plate on the 110's factory side steps. To help protect it I would have thought spraying on some of the clear lacquer they use on alloy wheels and brake calipers would be good enough.

Cheers

Steve