Odd 6 wheeler on ebay

muddy

The Scammell I fell in love with was Natts owned by Chris Acock. I first met Natts at a Heavies trial where it was not running due to a broken gear box. Chris had taken the side off the box to try and fix it and all the selector bits fell out. I offered to fix it and did so having never seen the inside of one before, earning myself a ride around the trials course. It has to be the most complex gearboxs ever, two lay shafts, two mainshafts and sequential selection of the six forward gears and three or four neutrals.

Phil, had my Dad still got his Disco I could have given him a heart attack with that image and my mechanics tools cleaned and readied! Nice one.

Bill, that Metrac reminds me of the

. It has opposing steering on front and rear axles and it bends and pivots in the middle and floats.

The Scammell I fell in love with was Natts owned by Chris Acock. I first met Natts at a Heavies trial where it was not running due to a broken gear box. Chris had taken the side off the box to try and fix it and all the selector bits fell out. I offered to fix it and did so having never seen the inside of one before, earning myself a ride around the trials course. It has to be the most complex gearboxs ever, two lay shafts, two mainshafts and sequential selection of the six forward gears and three or four neutrals.

Phil, had my Dad still got his Disco I could have given him a heart attack with that image and my mechanics tools cleaned and readied! Nice one.

. It has opposing steering on front and rear axles and it bends and pivots in the middle and floats.

OOhh I remember that Scammell saw it once or twice when the AWDC used to have events on the landfill site in Cannock,think it was called The Poplars off road centre or something like that before they built the M6 toll road through there.

Yes the Gamma goat prototype was based on the Metrac, but with each subsequent revision grew larger,heavier and less capable, until the production Goat dispensed with the hydraulic suspension system altogether, and as aconsequence it lost the ability to climb over large vertical obstacles. I really have no idea how to transfer vids to you tube. The link I gave was taken off a thread on Pirate 4x4. The vehicle pictured was for sale in the USA recently for $11,000.

bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, Yes I'm the mad person who won the bid in this super well engineered machine has to be seen to be appreciated. the amount of work that has been mods that has been done to it is immense. Not really sure what I'm going to do with it be deffo will not be breaking it or modding the running gear as be a shame as all the work thats been done to it.

Was thinking about a gm v8 to an auto box as it has no engine or box in it at the mo. Also has a heavy duty Harvey Frost recovery crane so I'd say that will go on it. Poss thinking about a rear lifting axle as the steering lock leaves much to be desired lol .

I will add some pics at the weekend when I'm home in daylight . She's in a sorry state at the mo but will soon be giving here some love ...................................................will keep this page updated as I can see lots of people interested in this mad yokel lol :blink:

The steering lock was fine when I had it, pretty much the same turning circle as a standard 109. I found that it favoured scrubbing the rear axle in tight turns on tarmac as it was driven by the middle axle. I used to lean outside the door and hang over the edge to look underneath when parking up to cars and could see what the wheels were doing. I also used to belt around in London with it so it had to be easy to park too. It did tail slide nicely at speed as well!

It would be good to see what it would be capable of with triple diff locks.

Going to 6x6 is a fairly simple (but not cheap) exercise as Foleys do a unit that fits to the front of the 2nd diff and transfers drive to 3rd diff ,

I had a look at a 6x6 in about 71 , ( I stopped it for a routine check :D on A4 Colnbrook) it was a 2a swb extended his drive went from rear PTO on trans box via unit he made that fitted in pto . and then carrier on top of second axle down to 3rd . The guy was asian engineer who was leaving Uganda drove overland . JFI :blink:

The leyland martian was the follow on to the Explorer , rear walking beams with gears rather than chain drive. I never had any probs with wind up, although you had to warm up the transfer box in neutral before you got going bottom gear reduction 254 to 1 , pulled an antar with tank on no probs :D

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...