Kenlowe fans

Ryan

I have purchased, at great expense from FridgeFreezer's pre-Sodbury clearout, two 12 inch Kenlowe fans. They are of the old-style mounting with two L-shaped tubular brackets per fan variety (sorry no pictures). Has anyone fitted this style to their Discovery? What did you mount the fans to?

I am planning on fitting both fans along with an X-fan switch from Simonr so that the fans are two-stage. As the fans are going to be side by side, which fan should be the one to come on first, the one that will end up over the intercooler or the one covering just the radiator? Actually, I am assuming that two 12 inch fans will fit side by side....

Great expense, pah! :P

I'd use Bull Bar Cowboy's system - both fans come on slow, then both fans come on fast - it's what I've got on the 109:

post-21-1193704053_thumb.jpg

Well, if it's good enough for a concours standard 109 like wot you own, then it's good enough for me :D

i'd use SimonR switch, it couldnt be easier 1 fan at one temp range then the other a higher range, manual over ride to bring both on or both off or both switch from either temp. all you need is his thermo switch plus a on/off/on switch and some wiring - easy even for an electrical muppet like me.

Do they fit on the front or engine side of the rad? If the engine side you may struggle to get them both in there due to the pipes on the intercooler. I have a single fan on my Disco (200) and have never felt the need for anything more.

At the moment both fans are set up for blow rather than suck (ooer :ph34r: ), so the blades would have to be swapped over to fit in front of the engine.

I don't know if they will both fit engine side, which is one reason for the thread.

I will probably go with the X-thingy, but will need to decide on whether to have both fans working together, or working independently, but for me that's the easy bit.

My main concern is the actual mounting of the fans. The later Kenlowes appear to be a doddle to fit with the cable tie thingys going through the radiator. But what about my earlier ones? How do I mount them? What do I use? Is there anything available off the shelf? I'm not very good at fabricating things, so buying stuff that I just have to bolt on is always a bonus for me... :)

Don't know about anybody else but I regard the idea of cable tie through the radiator grille as a complete bodge which might be easy to fit but isn't suitable for a vehicle operated in rough conditions. Maybe it doesn't make the rad core fall to bits but I wouldn't do it :)

My kenlowe was originally fitted with the cable tie type fixings and with in about 3 months they had sawed through the core of the radiator causing it to leak.

I have now made a decent bracket for it which bolts to the raditor frame (which is what I should have done in the first place :rolleyes: )

Pete.

Agreed - don't use those cable tie type fixings. Although with my Defender I fitted an extra Disco aircon fan to the front of the car using cable ties to attach it to the grille - but in this case the fan is quite a long way away from the aircon condensor.

Later Defenders had a similar factory fitted arrangement but did not attach to the grille like mine does.