off to this years Rainforrest Challange

andylandy

After 9 weeks of evenings and weekends and some great help from friends the landy is as finished as its going to be bit of a story this so please read on

March 2005 spent a week with jungle time adventures I the Malaysia rainforest with 7 other paying customers and 5 crew including martin lewis (course designer) and artek (chief scout for the rain forest challenge)

Please follow link to read the story

http://forum.difflock.com/discus/messages/...html?1127251301

While on this trip we all talked about doing the rfc and that may be we could go in 2006

I thought this is enough time to build a car to last a 10 day comp in the jungle.

Well all was rosey and I had booked a flight on a Monday in late August to be a marshal

In this years event to find out what its all about and then build for next year

Then the fateful phone call from martin lewis

Andy there’s a guy going to this years rfc and his co team has dropped out are you interested ring him so my first thoughts where great I will take my x devon landy and go as a marshall chance of a life time. But then thought sod it I got 8 weeks to shipping I new a guy who went on the march trip that would co drive and so the plan was hatched complete madness for 8-9 weeks (never again)

The project car

N90 MBF

1996 300 tdi

Front 8274

Maxi drive difflocks

Safety devices camel front cage

Some flash seats

The finished car goes like this

2.8 tgv

Allisport rad

Allisport full size intercooler

Allisport propane injection

Allisport 176ltr fuel tank

16”electric fan front of car

10” electric fan in bonnet (to xtract heat)

D44 OME suspension and steering damper

D44 cranked rear radius arms

D44 dislocation cones

D44 front track road protector

Great basin rovers R&P`s 4.1 rebuilt diffs (thanks martin)

New props

Disc brake hand brake (thank you si)

C V`s from Ashcroft

End plates from Ashcroft

3 deg front arms from QT

2 new 8274`s this was meant for a twin motor 8274 this will wait until I get back it’s the reason the bumper is so big

Foundry 4x4

Supplied all my sundries the car had new swivels complete poloybush kit

Oil and fuel filters wheel bearings heavy duty steering bars new highlift jack cubie box complete S S exhaust

The landy now has a 24volt winches both 8274 the front is running a 12 volt motor

Albright’s and winch motors from goodwinch and the winches use 12mm bow rope

Light’s are light force 140`s 6 in total

3 yellow top optima batteries

The electrics are a work of art and carried out by Jamie Austin I will let him explain the bloke is amazing with wire and landy`s

Wheels mach 5 16/8 using 35-10.5- 16 simex ET 2

The landy only had 300 miles on the clock when shipped but I will challenge any turbo diesel landy to a race it goes like jonny Wilkinson has kicked you up the a**

As for the propane I am only using it on ss in the jungle the system works by boost of of the turbo and will be used only when you wont to go some ware fast when it comes back it will have a EGT sensor put on so that I can read the temp.

And to top it all of we are now having a documentary made of us complete with on board footage so the dvd should be good

http://forum.difflock.com/discus/messages/...html?1131168825

Any questions

Sounds like you've been busy, Andy. From the photos I've seen its a very smart looking truck!

Good choice of engine BTW ;) I'm going to set about tuning mine sometime soon. All I'd say with the propane is try not to gun it for too long at high revs; EGT figures are already quite high in standard tune. Try and use the propane to give you a kick in the low and mid range. I think I'll have to pick your brain sometime about underbonnet cooling. I'm really struggling to get the air through and out of the engine bay. I've got an Alisport rad too and that made a noticable differance.

I'm still not sure about double gearbox 8274s because of the weight but I'll be interested to here how you get on with that setup. With a pair of 6hp motors it should pull quite well, though :D

BTW, is the R380 the original? If so you'll probably find its f***ed by the time you've finished the event; mine went down hill very quickly after fitting the 2.8 :ph34r: I doubt you'll be able to kill it, though. Mine was horrible when I pulled it out but it still worked!

P.S. I'm guessing you were with John Jennings on your last trip to the Jungle? He couldn't shut up about it when he got back!

It was great reading the write-up on your March trip, especially as I have driven the Camerons and many equally tough trails with those very same people. Ah-tek and Alyna are very serious indeed and having done Cheroh with them in Jedi along with Vicky in 2Blue and Keith in Thunderbird 1 (Volvo C303) while my then fairly standard 88" on 32" Simex struggled along, your story was very familiar. That was a failry typical weekend's trip for us in our backyard:D . I also met Martin out there in 2004 - super nice guy.

Well, the RFC is pretty much as tough as it gets but it sounds like you have a well sorted truck. If you finish, you're an off-road god!!!! Even if you don't finish, you will have an adventure that most people can only dream of. Best of luck and enjoy (thoroughly jealous - except for the leeches....)

Hi Andy,

Looking good! I can't wait to see you in action, because.....I will be there! I couldn't achieve competing this year (I competed in 2003 in my S3 hybrid), but I will be there to marshal the event.

I can't wait to be out there again.

Daan

Best of luck and enjoy (thoroughly jealous - except for the leeches....)

Yes, very best of luck as RPR has said............... i've seen his pictures....oh yes, and the leeches too :)

Anyway Mate in a way i envy you but i'll restrict my "Rain Forest" travels to reading "youse guys" tales :)