All Over The Road

onions

I don't post here too often but I'm an avid reader - if you can be such a thing.

I'm looking for a bit of diagnosis on a sudden problem that developed on the Disco on the way to work today.

Background

It started when I went over one of those speed-bumps that are placed in the middle of the road to tempt you to put your wheels either side of it. I didn't hit it fast by any means. At I went over it there was a bang from the back end. Now I have a Southdown tank guard on so I assumed that it was just the removable towing hitch moving about but then things started to happen:

Symptoms

Under power the car tracks in a straight line but as soon as I engage the clutch it veers out into the middle of the road (that's to the right - I'm in the UK). If I get to anything over 25 miles an hour the car starts to weave about as if the back end of the car is not attached to the rear axle at all! Under braking it feels similar to when I engage the clutch; it just pulls a bit to the right.

What I Know

It's pretty certain that there is nothing wrong at the front end - the front offside wheel bearing was changed only a week ago after collapsing completely and there is no play in the nearside one. The swivels have been recently filled with grease. In the work car park I was able to drive in circles at full lock and he steering felt positive in both directions with no excessive play to be found. The steering box is brand new. The back axle is a different matter: there seemed to be a good bit of play in the rear nearside wheel. I alos had a strange problem with the same rear wheel recently where the wheel nuts would loosen off, I'd tighten them but a week or so later they would be loose again - I put it down to local chavs mucking about, but would they really have a massive breaker-bar? On Saturday night, when I found myself in the passenger seat of the car I was sure I could hear some squeaking from an offside wheel but I put that down to "bearing paranoia" and the fact that I'd had a couple of shandies.

Your Thoughts?

Could a collapsed rear bearing make the car perform like this or should I be looking for something more ... well ... complicated? All suggestions are gladly received. I'm a total amateur when it comes to diagnosing anything except a flat tyre or a knackered UJ (I've had my share of those).

tbh with things like this you cant just speculate. it could and sounds like it would be, very dangerous if left any longer.

yes bearing failure can be pretty dramatic

you said the bang came from the rear... everything so far is pointing to the rear, this play rings alarm bells.

my advice

CHECK EVERYTHING you can on the rear. bushes, trailing arms, bolts, hubs, bearings. sounds like it's gonna be one of them

CHECK EVERYTHING you can on the rear. bushes, trailing arms, bolts, hubs, bearings. sounds like it's gonna be one of them

what he said ^^^

also check the wheel studs haven't sheared off in the hub and started to pull through, I have seen this happen, nuts seem tight but only because they have bottomed out on the end of the threads and there ain't a hell of a lot holding the wheel on except suction...

the amount of stud sticking out through the nuts is a giveaway

I assume that you have checked your A-frame joints and mounts

I'm no expert but am told that when these are only worn the can create rear steer.

If it is veering to to right check all the near-side joints / mounts first.

post up your post code and you may get a friendly pop in and help.

I had a quick look underneath this morning when I got to work but I get there in the dark so it was hard to see what was going on. Which is quite surprising when on closer inspection the nearside trailing arm has completely sheared. So it turns out the car is not attached to the rear axle at all well. I'll be needing a new one of those then.

Thanks for the replies. Yout hit the nail on the head 1st time. That's service for you!

Update

I have a new nearside trailing arm in place which is all good, but can someone give me an opinion or two on the following new things:

1) When the car sits on level ground there is clearly more clearance between the top of the rearside rear wheel and the top of the arch that there is on the off side. It wasn't like that before!

2) Under braking it feels like the car pulls to the off-side even with new rear pads in the past 9 months and brand new front pads.

3) I feel like I am constantly correcting the car away from the middle of the road. It's nowhere near as wandery as it was when the axle was only partly attached (obviously), but it feels different to how it did before.

My 2 thoughts so far are that either the trailing arms should have been replaced as a pair rather than just on 1 side, or that the tracking was set with a bent trailing arm in the first place so now that it's back to being OK the car needs the tracking doing again.

The 3rd option is that I have a case of post-repair paranoia (I'm very paranoid about my truck).

Any ideas?

had a problem similar to this at work, squaddy brought a TUM in complaining of pulling to the left. on inspection saw that the truck was sat down on that side, had a quick scout about n then checked tyre pressures etc took round the yard and sure enough it was pulling like a b*tch. took the wheel off only to find two 540 degrees of sping coil snapped off and sat inside itself. worth a look and quite easy to clance past and miss.

big bangs n not sat right just seemed to fit.

good luck with it anyway

andy.