central locking alarm prob help please

pinny

95 300tdi disco whilst driving along indicators came on all flashing the only way i could stop was by turning engine off and restarting got home tried to lock using key fob single button nothing started engine stopped then it worked where is the central locking module and could this be the spider playing up will this stop the central locking working changed batterty in fob at the moment its working ok any thoughts on where to start is the alarm module in the passenger footwell the black box with a aerial coax coming from it any suggestions appreciated chris

Ahhh the joys of punctuation :D

You have almost certainly tripped the crash sensor, or it is faulty. It disables the central locking (after opening all doors) and makes the indicators flash. IIRC it is in the engine bay somewhere, check in your handbook but I think it is on the bulkhead to the left side of the engine. Press the top down to reset, or maybe it is a dud. Often trips if you hit a massive pothole or a cattle grid or something, a common problem here.

cheers bm cant find anything on bulkhead at the moment its all working ok would this thing disable fuel supply or would it only work on a electric fuel pump if it is a crash sensor its prob faulty as i was on tarmac and cant remember any potholes etc when i find it can it be disconnected or will things not work unfortunately no handbook cheers chris

when i find it can it be disconnected or will things not work

I don't think that would be advisable, as it normally shuts down the electric in-tank fuel pump in the event of a prang, & unlocks the doors.

Can you afford to not have it functioning & having fuel spray everywhere, possibly on to a hot engine? :rolleyes:

I don't think that would be advisable, as it normally shuts down the electric in-tank fuel pump in the event of a prang, & unlocks the doors.

Can you afford to not have it functioning & having fuel spray everywhere, possibly on to a hot engine? :rolleyes:

are you sure it doesnt just lock off the fuel stop solenoid on the fuel injection pump?!

electric pump in the tank?????? theyre on lift pumps still on the 300

are you sure it doesnt just lock off the fuel stop solenoid on the fuel injection pump?!

electric pump in the tank?????? theyre on lift pumps still on the 300

Of course you are correct. I just re-read the post to see it is a Tdi & not a V8i. :rolleyes:

Still, handy info for a V8i owner. ;)

Ahhh the joys of punctuation :D

You have almost certainly tripped the crash sensor, or it is faulty. It disables the central locking (after opening all doors) and makes the indicators flash. IIRC it is in the engine bay somewhere, check in your handbook but I think it is on the bulkhead to the left side of the engine. Press the top down to reset, or maybe it is a dud. Often trips if you hit a massive pothole or a cattle grid or something, a common problem here.

Good evening from down South, I have the same problem. my 300 Tdi hit a pothole and the doors un-locked and the emergency flashers started flashing. Grabbing the instruction manual, it noted that this will happen in the event of the vehicle being subjected to a jolt. The book says switch the Discovery off and on twice in succession. I did that end things were back to normal. This happened on two occasions, and the reset procedure worked. The only other item I had to attend to was resetting the clock. This may have been due to a bad connection?

My second frustration with my remote is that it works perfectly in my garage, in the bush, in a parking garage with concrete slabs over. The following locations does however render the remote useless:

parked near a cellphone service provider mast,

parked near a satelite dish,

parked under a steel roof,

parked alongside modern cars (2004 onwards) and this includes the Freelander 2, Discovery 3.

I then lock the Discovery with the key, and when returning, unlock the door, with the alarm sounding loud and clear. I normally jump into the Disco, put the key in the ignition switch, and then de-activate the alarm with the remote. The putting the key in the ignition and then pressing the remote seems to be the only way out.

One car security "expert" suggested thatI locate the actual receiver, find the antenna, and lengthen the antenna. To date I could not locate this receiver.

Has anyone tried this before?

The agents just shrugged their shoulders, blaming the current signals of the cell phone companies as the culprits!

LR regards

Thys

It is generally accepted here, that where a confluence of radio/radar/TV/phone etc signals exists, (ie. on hilltops, mountains etc) then the key should always be used for locking & unlocking.

I haven't heard about F2 & D3 doing it, but it would not surprise me.

It is generally accepted here, that where a confluence of radio/radar/TV/phone etc signals exists, (ie. on hilltops, mountains etc) then the key should always be used for locking & unlocking.

I haven't heard about F2 & D3 doing it, but it would not surprise me.

Good morning First Fleet, thanks for last night's reply.

This brings me to my next question. The owners manual gives a detail procedure to deactivate the alarm system, by putting the key in the driver's door and going through a sequence of left and right turns equal to the vehicle's security code. This I've tried many times, with no success, the security code is correct, as it unlocks the radio.

I've read on the Forum of the removal of the "spider", but cannot trace that.

Thys

Good morning Thys.

Sorry, I can't help with that as mine doesn't have a spider (well, not the electronic sort anyway :D ) & my immobiliser & central locking, is an after market one. So simple & effective.

Bog Monster did an excellent write up & photos on the repair of a faulty spider & it may be here still. It was mounted behind the glove box on a RH drive as I recall.

He may be able to assist with the operation as well.

Good luck.

Good morning First Fleet, thanks for last night's reply.

This brings me to my next question. The owners manual gives a detail procedure to deactivate the alarm system, by putting the key in the driver's door and going through a sequence of left and right turns equal to the vehicle's security code. This I've tried many times, with no success, the security code is correct, as it unlocks the radio.

I've read on the Forum of the removal of the "spider", but cannot trace that.

Thys

The spider won't deactivate the alarm it just bypasses the secondary immobilisation. The code to do in the lock is different to the radio code, in the UK Land Rover will give you the Code to do with the key if you pop in with the Log Book - not sure it it's the same down there?

the definitive spider post

Kill the Spider

Alex

Thanks Alex, I will try the local LR agents on the codes. I followed the link, and reading the introduction, mine does not have those symptoms, yet.

As mentioned before, I've again come to the realization what the value of the Forum is.

This is great stuff!

Cheers and thanks again!

Thys