Slow to start

Hi,

My 1988 90 csw is usually quite slow to start.

Shortly after getting it I found out that the battery was duff so I swapped it out, or at least the nice AA man did who came out, and he also tightened up teh alternator belt to make sure it was charging enough, not sure this has anything to do with it but more info is better than none.

Now it starts up and turns over ok but the time between it turning over and actually starting differs quite a bit. It could start quite quickly or it could take quite a few turns before kicking in. It could differ between starting it to go somewhere and then starting it when coming home.

If anyone has any ideas that I can look at to see if this an actual problem or just the nature of the beast then I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry, I should have said which model Red. It's a 1988 90 csw 2.5l petrol.

Ralph, I'm going to do some work on it this weekend so I'll clean up the terminals, thanks.

CoastCard, It is quite old and I don't imagine it's been changed in a long time, is it worth looking into changing it? Would changing it have a better impact on starting?

Is it worth changing anyway?

Thanks for your help

Ok, I've gone out to it this morning after driving it yesterday, and the thing won't start at all.

It barely turned over and then refused to do that, just sits there and ticks.

I guess the battery is dead and will need charging before it goes anywhere.

Could a slow charging alternator cause the slow starting?

Yesterday, when it did eventually start, it only did so after the following happened. Got in and it turned over but didn't start, turned it off and tried again (it has stood in the recent frost without moving), the turning over slowed down and still didn't start, turned it off tried again, this time barely turned over but then roared into life.

I replaced the battery shortly after getting it as I was told by an AA man that the old one was knackered and it's been fine till now but he did mention that he had to tighten the alternator belt.

Any more help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

sounds more like a dying starter motor or soleniod on top of the starter motor. maybe a either trip to a auto electricains or call one out to home to get the charging & starting circuits tested may be worth it.

IIRC there's a diesel engine fault diagnosis chart in the Tech Archive. yep here it is

Thanks Ralph, I think I'll do that next weekend then.

Just been around this route myself (hence post above). I thought my battery was being drained because of slow starting etc. but it was just the old starter motor. Worth double checking the battery and charging voltage.

It will probably cost you the same as a starter motor to get an autosparks out to test yours. I guess you will also know whether your alternator is poop though.

Also does anyone know the difference between parts PRC6613NG and PRC6613N and PRC6613E??

I'm getting a bit confused over what, if any, the differences are and what sort to go for

PRC6613N is a new LUCAS starter motor for a 2.5 petrol engine upto engine number 17H26367C -- if after that engine number use Bosch starter NAD10040E

PRC6613E is a exchange unit for the engine ^^^^^ upto engine number 17H26367C plus other later engines as ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no idea what the PRRC6613NG is, not in EPC only those above show.

no idea what the PRRC6613NG is, not in EPC only those above show.

I think I might have seen the likes of Paddocks use the G suffix to indicate a genuine part?

Edit to add, this is what I was thinking about:

If you look at their wheel bearing for example, their boggo ones are <pt.no.>R, where as the Timken OE ones are <pt.no.>G

Local motor factors e.g Camberley Auto Factors are as good as anywhere. If you give them a part number or even make and model they will probably be able to get one for you. Even better, it will hopefully be a Bosch one rather than a Lucas.

Worth taking the old one in when you collect (may be exchange anyway) to double check it is correct one.

Anyone know of any good places to get start motors?

I got mine from Paddocks about 4/5 years ago, and it's still going. It was a <racks tired brain> Prestolite pattern one, which many will tell you is rubbish. Based on their collective experiences, I'm sure they're right - seems I got lucky.

Are you doing enough miles between starts? what I mean is, cranking the engine takes "X" amps from your battery, to replace these amps will take "y" amounts of minutes from engine powering alternator (above idle rate). Some thing in my memory is saying it's fourteen miles to get the battery back to where it was but I'm not too sure about that, over to the experts.............

Are you doing enough miles between starts? what I mean is, cranking the engine takes "X" amps from your battery, to replace these amps will take "y" amounts of minutes from engine powering alternator (above idle rate). Some thing in my memory is saying it's fourteen miles to get the battery back to where it was but I'm not too sure about that, over to the experts.............

I'm probably not, about half my journeys are down to the tip and back or round to the builders merchant and and about half are longer distances which would recover the charge.

I think I'd better keep an eye out for a charger and starter as well just in case it happens again.

If you have flattened the battery and/or do a lot of short journeys esp at this time of year when you will be using all the toys it is important to recharge the battery using a battery charger.

The drain on the battery will be large & the alternator is intended to keep it topped up, not to fully recharge & repeatedly asking it to do that will shorten the alternators life. That's not just my opinion. That's from AC Delco who make the things.

I put ours on charge around once a month (my battery charger - Gunson Gold 4138 - indicates when fully charged) to avoid any low battery problems.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on my 90.

I managed to get an original Land Rover badged starter motor from Bosch for £40 on ebay and swapped out a prestolite one. I guess it's been changed before.

I've also plonked in a 664 tractor battery instead of the piddley little one that was in it when I got it.

Just managed to clear up when the light was fading so I'll take it for a good run tomorrow to see how it goes, starts first time now