Twin ZF74 Pumps to run a Milemarker Winch

Thanks for that BBC- bloody good info yet again... Why have you not started selling a fast winch 'package' along the lines of yours- complete with all the hoses etc?- I think if you did there would be an awful lot of takers-... never know you might convert a few more of the electric winch die hards to good old reliable hydraulic?? ;)

Numbers are never boring...(yes I need to get out more!) - especially if they make my winch go faster! :D

Shrek

Thats the begger!! :i-m_so_happy:

Any chance of you divulging some more info???- Details about pump/clutch/mounting/performance/pros/cons etc?... Pretty pretty please... Also did you have any issues with the alignment of the unit with the crank?

Shrek

The pump is 26cc, dog clutch is a standard industrial unit. The coupling is a HRC type ,120 size (very cheap from Smoothline Bearings 01453 861230) I think which fits inside the crank pulley perfectly. The mounting cradle goes right along the side of the engine and doubles up as the engine mountings. Crank alignment was no problems, the HRC has a rubber cusion inside so slight misalignment would not a problem.Performance is great, the Type R on the front is great for fast pulls with very good fine control. The Champion on the rear is amazingly powerfull but amazingly slow (soon to be sorted :D ) The champion has a far better system of gear selection than the MM on which both speeds can be selected at once which bends the internal drive pins , a problem than means a complete strip down and replacement (or 3 hrs with a round file if your in Russia -thanks Paul Mac B) in the field. The support and after sales offered by Champion puts the big boys to shame.

post-3984-1195678826_thumb.jpg

Hi Old Spot,

Thanks for that- sorry to badger again... but what engine are you running and do you have any more piccys of the install?- I would be particularly interested in how the coupling mates with the crank? Also if it is not a rude question do you know roughly how much the pump, clutch and coupling were?

As I said sorry to keep bothering you... but you are the only person I know that has this set up and it is exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Thanks again,

Shrek

Hi MTR

The engine it a 200Tdi from a disco which means the injection pump sits higher and makes the pump support bracket easier to make.

The coupling bolts through the pulley into the crank using counter bored capscrews, in place of the standard bolts.

The pump and the dog clutch cost about £400 complete, the coupling was less than £20 from Ken at Smoothline Bearings.

If you PM me your email address I will mail you a couple more pics, as I dont know how to reduce file sizes on my AppleMac.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just bought a milemarker (secondhand) and it runs from PAS pump.

On a 2.5turbo would there be enough space to fit another pump like a ZF74? and does anybody have any secondhand ones for sale?

Or is there say an electric pump equivalent like a saxo which might be powerful enough? and easier to fit?

thanks

ben

Got a complete ZF74 pump, solinoid valve, wander lead and hoses if you are interested.

BUT they came of a 300tdi so the pump has a wide pulley for a multigroove belt, it only bolts to the front of the pump so should be easy enough to change. As to where you could fit it on a 2.5TD engine, I have no idea.

They all came off my vehicle as I have just swapped over to a pto pump and a spool valve, basically a copy of Bullbar Cowboys setup, thanks for the help Ian.

If you are interested send me a PM, I am only over near Newton Abbot so not far for you.

Hi.

Yes there is plenty of room to run a ZF74 on a 2.5TD- just mounts where an air con pump would- above the injector pump. Either make a new mounting for the pump or if you have one for the wrong engine I believe Allan Byrne at www.4x4winches.com will part ex your wrong one for the right one (IIRC they are not hugely expensive in any case)- fairly easy to knock one up though as I have done.

You will probably also need to change your crank pulley from a two v one to a three v air con one (ERR3093- about £34ish) so that the extra belt can then run the extra pump.

The pulleys on the pump are only held on with three bolts and so are easy to swap over- for info a standard 200tdi power steering pump pulley (ETC 5783- about £13ish) will go on- bolts are in the in the right place but centre hole needs to be opened out very slightly to fit the spigot (I used my small lathe) on the front of the pump- I think Allan may also PX you on pulleys as well?

The flow rates on electric pas pumps are very low generally and would give you a very very slow line speed

I am also in Newton Abbot not far from BBC so if you need to have a look at how I have done things give me a shout- kettle is generally on!!

Shrek

Got a complete ZF74 pump, solinoid valve, wander lead and hoses if you are interested.

BUT they came of a 300tdi so the pump has a wide pulley for a multigroove belt, it only bolts to the front of the pump so should be easy enough to change. As to where you could fit it on a 2.5TD engine, I have no idea.

They all came off my vehicle as I have just swapped over to a pto pump and a spool valve, basically a copy of Bullbar Cowboys setup, thanks for the help Ian.

If you are interested send me a PM, I am only over near Newton Abbot so not far for you.

PM sent!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MTS,

I'm maybe a bit late with this advice but speaking from experience I'd advise you not to be tempted to go with the dual belt set-up as you will be constantly tightening the belts and spraying them with belt dressing to keep them sticky.

I've presently got a twin belt set-up but intend to go with a direct drive coupling like Old Spot just as soon as I can get my radiator out of the way.

Hi MicMac,

Thanks for that... I have still yet to progress any further as other stuff keeps getting in the way...

Latest plan is to run a single belt to each of the pumps that will be tensioned individually- should not cause any more problems than my existing set up with one belt running one pump... I hope :huh:

Will update this thread when I get any further... may now have to wait until I have done the rear crank seal... :angry:

Cheers

Shrek

Hi shrek

Its about time you bit the bullet put your pumps and plumbing on ebay and sort out a crank mounted system you know it makes sense

At least you may stand a chance of keeping up

P.S. let me know when not workin so you can put kettle on

Hi shrek

Its about time you bit the bullet put your pumps and plumbing on ebay and sort out a crank mounted system you know it makes sense

At least you may stand a chance of keeping up

P.S. let me know when not workin so you can put kettle on

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Frank has found the internet and knows how to use it....................... :ph34r:

Keeping up... nah I will stick to out pulling 8274's without the over heating! My crazy plan will work I tell you (at least I think it will :D )

You going to start a tread on your 'minor' Landzuki mods in the members vehicles thread or what?

Shrek

• 4 weeks later...

I finally have some progress to report! :D I finally managed to spend some time in the garage and have produced the Mk2 version...

Firstly I have sorted the crank pulley issue- I now have 4 V grooves as opposed to 3 which allows me to run a V belt to each of the two pumps, with each having its own tensioning system... both pumps are being fed from a larger reservoir made out of an old fire extinguisher! I am still running a standard solenoid valve and pipework- all be it with the tiny hole in the flap disc inside the valve drilled out a bit!

Initial tests are promising... No belts destroying themselves... yet :ph34r:

Line speed is 9ft/min at the drum in low gear rising to 18ft/min at the top layer of rope, and 54 ft/min at the drum in high gear rising to 108ft/min at the top layer of rope!

I have now fully tripled the line speed from when I was running the original LF68 pump!

I have taken some piccys and when it is all properly finished will write up some more info...I have my first event with the new set up on Saturday so will be somewhat of a baptism of fire for it!

Shrek

I have taken some piccys and when it is all properly finished will write up some more info...I have my first event with the new set up on Saturday so will be somewhat of a baptism of fire for it!

Shrek

oh indeed it will be baptism of fire will be interesting to see how it performs

oh indeed it will be baptism of fire will be interesting to see how it performs

Did what it said on the tin- no winch problems at all (other than breaking the old knackered plasma and pulling one of the gear change levers off). Managed to get one of the belts to squeal slightly but only when pulling near to stalling in high gear...

The winch was far more usable at the slightly higher speed- didn't bother with free spool at all- which cut down significantly on the gear changes that my bitch has to keep running backwards and forwards to make!

Time and a few more events will be the real test but overall very pleased with it- unfortunately it is a vicious circle... speed up the winch- see how much more effective it is and then want to speed it up some more... aaaaarrrggghhh! Now about this triple ZF74 system I have in mind... :ph34r:

Shrek

Hi

Ha ve just discovered this forum and am looking for a bit of advice re fitting a milemarker & ZF74 to newer vehicles (ie TD5's etc)

Have run one on a 200 disco for several years, using it for recovering rally cars, where the speed is ideal - however have seen one driven direct from a PAS pump and it is a lot slower.

Am looking at moving to either a Disco II or poss a 110 station wagon . Alfred murray didnt seem to have much advice other than use a PTO pump (which would be difficult in a disco due to ther rear footwell, and I;m not sure about the 110)

Has anyone else come accross a way to deal with this?

Ian

The beauty of the Td5 is it's large serpintine belt.

If you are looking at at buying a Disco 2, buy one without ACE (Active corner enhancement) and the pump can be fitted in the space where the ace pump would normally fit.

With the 110 the pump can be fitted were the air con comprssor would fit, or if you have air con fit it were the ace pump would fit on a disco. Although you will have to make a minor mod to the inner wheel arch.

Hope that helps

Jim