LPG garage in Suffolk/ Norfolk

tuffstuff

Hi

I have a G reg Classic runnign a 3.9 petrol which has got a 90 litre LPGgas tank. Now when i filled it up last year to go to stainby, i was towing my caravan which is a fair size. I got only 70 miles to a full tank of gas! i was disheartened to say the least. I have since had the beast sorned until last month. I have now replaced both inner wings, o/s sill, n/s sill raised the body, fitted new front & rear arms and a wading kit. I have also given it a full service, fitted new plugs, leads, cap etc. I found that the exhaust manifolds were both blowing so i replaced new studs and gaskets. All of which has helped the Beast drive great. Loads more power and torque.

The only thing i have not had any thing done to is the LPG, this is because i do not know who to go to? I live in Lowestoft and work in Norwich so can anyone advise me on a garage that i can trust and know what they are doing?

I have not filled up with LPG to be honest as the only garage that sells it near me is in the middle of a re-fit!

This info may be a tad out of date because I moved from Hopton a couple of years ago....

Shell Garage in Oulton Broad sells LPG.

Lindgreat on Harfreys Industrial Estate sell LPG and if you speak to Frank, he is a good bloke and can service the LPG kit.

Warwick Shubrook the Vauxhall Dealer in Gt Yarmouth sell LPG.

RPI Engineering in Norwich sell LPG. They also install systems but not sure if they service them.

When I initially fitted my kits, I called the local Greenflag bloke round and got him to tune the LPG system because he has the carb balancing meter and gas analyser. I had the installation / tuning instructions for the kit which were pretty handy so we figured it out together (Ecomax, Vapouriser, Max Flow Valve etc).

This info may be a tad out of date because I moved from Hopton a couple of years ago....

Shell Garage in Oulton Broad sells LPG.

Lindgreat on Harfreys Industrial Estate sell LPG and if you speak to Frank, he is a good bloke and can service the LPG kit.

Warwick Shubrook the Vauxhall Dealer in Gt Yarmouth sell LPG.

RPI Engineering in Norwich sell LPG. They also install systems but not sure if they service them.

When I initially fitted my kits, I called the local Greenflag bloke round and got him to tune the LPG system because he has the carb balancing meter and gas analyser. I had the installation / tuning instructions for the kit which were pretty handy so we figured it out together (Ecomax, Vapouriser, Max Flow Valve etc).

Thanks Don

The Shell garage is the one being re-fitted at the moment, which is just down the road from me. I will go to the chap in Yarmouth and see what he can do for me. I did go to RPI but they told me i needed to spend loads of money on other parts that i needed because my unit was not good enough. I can not afford to do that so all i am going to do is make the best of what i have got.

Hi,

Is the gas kit a multi point injection system or a single gas ring on the air intake?

The multi point systems run with emulators(ecu) that control flow rate through the idividual gas inj. , these map from the petrol ECU . The single ring on the air intake is on all the time and flow is varied by engine vacuum iirc , have you checked the vac pipe is good ? might be somewhere to start.

cheers

Steveb

I will go to the chap in Yarmouth and see what he can do for me.

Needs to be Frank - Used to wear one of those expedition cowboy hats!

I did go to RPI but they told me i needed to spend loads of money on other parts that i needed because my unit was not good enough.

Not surprised... they are good for buying parts from, but write your own list before you get there!! :o

Hi Donald

I opened your email tonight, due to manflu i feel like cr#p! been reading the PDF file after printing it off. Making interesting reading to be honest, i have found that the tank is not seated at the correct angle for a start. With your advice as well i am going to give it a try tomorrow.

I must Thank you for being so helpful mate. I have made myself a Snorkel and ordered a grille for it tonight as well as another polybush set as the set that was fitted by the last owner failed to fit any sleaves between any of the bushes thus waring them out so quickly. I was laying under the Beast the other night thinking weather to wire brush down the rear axle then i come back to the real world remembering that it would all be scraped off when i go off road next! BUGGER! England have just gone down 3 -2 with 15 mins to go!!!!!!!

Regards

Tony

Tinleytech Bourne CAMBS, sold me a kit for my 3.9, don't know if they do installs but they were a world of information and help.

you should be getting about 72ish litres into a 90litre tank, that means you got about 4.5mpg which is centurian tank territory, are you sure it is not leaking!!! if it smells at all then it is leaking and will not help aside from being dangerous.

I am guessing that your setup is open loop i.e. does not automatically adjust itself by taking a reading from the lambda sensor in the exhaust. Normally fitted to Cat'ed cars. Mine is closed loop i.e. an lpg management system (ecu box of tricks) takes readings from the lambda sensor and the TPS, it then uses the info to adjust a stepper motor on the gas feed into the mixer ring on the plenum input. round town I have yet to get any worse than 13mpg and on a run i'll get nearer 16mpg.

If yours is open loop it needs to be manually setup, mixure can be set on the reducer (big round LPG thingy connected to the cooling system) and there should be a valve with a threaded nut that sits on the rubber gas feed pipe that goes from the reducer to the mixer (fixed to the plenum chamber inlet). Your reducer should have a manufacturers name on it which will help identify the mixure control.

HTH

Richard

I have adjusted the settings but i have been busy changing other bits. made my snorkel, fitted wading kit, fitted new polybush set, fitted new front and rear correction arms, raised coil and amp, then fitted it into a watertight box, repaired the rear lights as i seem to knockout the casings from the frame each time i go out. Then Last Night !!!!!!!!! Bl##dy petrol every where. rusted pipe from the tank to the filter! so i removed the tank to find the sender/pump unit has rusted through, the pipe connecting the filter to the tank fell apart in my hands and a foot of pipe broke up as well!

So all in all a nightmere but its all worth it

I will be asking another question regarding the fuel pipes in another tread anyway.

I am trying to get this done as we are going to Wales Friday morning for a weekend greenlaning.

Hi Brett

Damgate lane? is that in Acle? i am sure i have heard of them before, Thanks anyway.

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Tony

Yeah, sorry Tony. He's in Acle. Not used him personaly but friends have & they rate him.

Cheers

Brett