Home made .... sills/rock sliders?

stuntman

Yes mate, my disco looked very solid until I started to really investigate, however, once you've dealt with the rust it should stay away for a long time!

If you need a hand just shout, I can take pictures if I have the time (which isn't very often) or I if you pm me I'll send you my mobile number.

I was thinking about making rock sliders for my 90, but i thought it might affect my ability to get my MOT,

i mean, will it pass its MOT ok if you have made them yourself?

are there rules and regs i need to follow whilst fabricating them?

cheers

chris.

I have just got back from having my disco MOT'ed tonight and it passed no problem, it's fitted with disco parts tree and rock sliders. There was no mention made of them at all. They look like they are home made.

HTH

Pete.

• 4 months later...
sorry, disco 1, 200tdi 5 door. thanks

Heres how i made mine

Start with some 60x60 mm thick wall box. Cut below b pillar and bent to follow contours of doors

post-1427-1211485464_thumb.jpg

Here you can see where I cut out a small section to allow the box to fit snuggly around the base of the B pillar

post-1427-1211485632_thumb.jpg

Here I have welded on some 40mm tube, bent on the bender you see on the bench and braced with some 25mm box

post-1427-1211485532_thumb.jpg

And the final thing attached to the vehicle (OK so its a Trayback but it started as a 200 tdi 5 door!). I fabricated mounts front and rear that attach the sliders to the chassis rather than to the body thus keeping the body isolated via the rubber nounts. i did this as my front cage also attaches to the slider mounts. If you have no cage then a more simple attachment to the sills could be knocked up. Check out the tech section of www.discoweb.org for more ideas.

post-1427-1211485734_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
I wouldn't weld then directly to the vehicle although I suppose you could if you want to. How about welding tabs to the outriggers and then bolting the sliders to those?

Les.

good idea cheers.

amd what size box section should i use??

mikey