Horrible grubby steering Wheel...

Hi, jumped in my Td1200 this morning, wet weather outside...(and inside!)...

My steering wheel covered my hands in black grubby bits....

Is there anything I can coat it with, or is it a leather steering wheel cover or new wheel.....?

I know i'm being a bit of a girle here but I was all nice and clean and on my way to work and..... alright I'm a girle....

cheers

db :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I personally hate steering wheel covers... so for me it would have to be a new/ good secondhand one. Maybe slip it on the Christmas list (with part numbers obviously so he doesn't get the wrong one! :angry: ) and see what appears- fitting it would also then give you a good excuse to avoid cr@p christmas day TV :D

Shrek

I know i'm being a bit of a girle here but I was all nice and clean and on my way to work and..... alright I'm a girle....

Ok, we've established you're a girlie so can't cope with a bit of grubbyness ... ;) The manly way to deal with it is to rub in a good handful of EP90 and put up with the stink and complaints from the missus but that's not an option here :D

Apparently you can paint them by cleaning up well and using epoxy paint. You could obviously shell out for a new wheel or do what I did and get a steering wheel glove - mine were about £6 each or something equally stupid off eBlag (yep both the RR and the 101 have got them!) Not the best but a damn sight better than a nasty, grubby, sticky, black mess that mucks up your nails and ... ehem :ph34r:

AndyG

Hi, jumped in my Td1200 this morning, wet weather outside...(and inside!)...

My steering wheel covered my hands in black grubby bits....

Is there anything I can coat it with, or is it a leather steering wheel cover or new wheel.....?

cheers

db :rolleyes::rolleyes:

bit of a girlie meself r, i keep a pack of baby wipes in the cubby box just for the steering wheel (sad or what) :rolleyes:

Sheesh, thats a relief! I thought I was the only one who kept baby wipes in the cubbybox! I already gey called "shiny" due to lack of mud, couldn't handle being called a shiny girlie!!

I gave my steering wheel a few squirts of something like Cillit Bang the other day and wiped it with a clean wet cloth.....amazing how much plop came off.

Wash the wheel with warm soapy water and a sponge.

The dirt on the wheel is a build up of all the deposits your hands and the hands of everybody else who has driven it have left there by steering the vehicle. Gets sticky in damp weather

Same build up occurs on leather covered wheels which are best cleaned with a leather cleaner as the warm soapy water dries them out.

Do not do this on an early Series LR as the wheel needs refinishing when this happens to it as the material of the wheel itself is breaking down.

This used to happen in my Sherpa van and that wasn't due to a build up of dirt as it was brand-new at the time.

If the surface of the wheel is starting to break up then it is probably time to start looking for a replacement wheel, if you don't fancy a genuine one then there is a whole range of aftermarket ones to try.