Straps

TripTrick

Hi All,

Please excuse my Newbieness (to the forum, Landies and mechanics)

I am receiving my Landy tomorrow and know that the left rear stap is worn and torn and is therefore not operational. The Right Strap is still fine.

My Question is this: Do I need them and what for? If removing them, will the prop not touch the Chassis (hole it goes through) should a big articilation happen or am I miising the plot? So the straps are there to protect the drive shaft and universals?

Some say that removing them will reduce the tip over angle by a degree or 2 but articulation will be better.

Too much movement in the axle can cause the yoke and flange of the two sides of the universal joints to come in contact with each?

Thanks for any advise or assistance in this matter.

I've never had the check straps on, and it's passed every MOT fine, so it doesn't *need* them.

The main comment I have heard is that it can damage your shocks when off roading if you don't have them, but I've not had any problem with the shocks, the only thing I do get is that the tyre rubs on the inner bodywork - but nothing too bad

If the strap is on and broken, then it'll fail the MOT. If you remove it, then it'll pass. The check straps are there to prevent excessive axle droop. If you have them fitted and go off-road, then they will restrict the kind of terrain you drive over. On the road you will never appreciate them being there as they do nothing in that situation. Unless you have a restored to original vehicle I would suggest you cut both of them off. If your shock absorbers don't have internal bump stops, then you have to keep them on as they won't be designed to take the weight of the axle.

Les.

........The check straps are there to prevent excessive axle droop. If you have them fitted and go off-road, then they will restrict the kind of terrain you drive over........

Les.

The straps are there to prevent excess axledrop, which in theory could lead to a the fact that the car will fall over. Saying that I have never had them on my 109 stw and fitted with parabolic springs it does have excessive axle drop, and I only been on the side once in 22 years (I reversed into a 1 meter deep hole big enogh to take the whole 109). So I would just leave them of.

Lars