rear hub seal or stub axle seal?

whilst replacing the brake shoes on my 90, I noticed oil was getting onto the inside of the brake backplate, it seems to be comming from where the hub meets the backplate, I'v checked the old haynes but I cannot work out whether it is the hub seal or the stub axle seal. any ideas?

Usually the hub seal but don't worry as this is a very quick, cheap & easy repair.

When the hub is off check the stub-axle to make sure it isn't worn otherwise you might find it happening again quite soon.

Tip:- Check the axle breather isn't blocked as this can force axle oil past a seal that would normally remain oiltight.

Like this?

post-4308-1195851567_thumb.jpg

In this case, it was the stub axle gasket:

post-4308-1195851990_thumb.jpg

FWIW the stub axle oil seal (seen in the middle of the pic) was gone on my other rear hub (lip was worn right off), and the oil came out the front side along the halfshaft and out through the hubcap

On mine the hub bearings are grease filled so if it's oil, it has to be from the stub axle not the hub - may not apply to you if yours are the older type or have been modified to be lubed from the axle as described by freeagent

Usually the hub seal but don't worry as this is a very quick, cheap & easy repair.

When the hub is off check the stub-axle to make sure it isn't worn otherwise you might find it happening again quite soon.

Tip:- Check the axle breather isn't blocked as this can force axle oil past a seal that would normally remain oiltight.

Hi, just wodering if you know anything about the front hub seals as the picture of oil leaking down the back of the brake disk protector looks similar to whats happening to my front wheel!

Front & rear hub seals are replaced in exactly the same way.

The only special tool you require is a hub-nut socket. Parts required are a new seal (obviously), drive-flange gaskit and tab washer.

..plus a 12 point socket for the caliper bolts.

Also, I can never get the track rod off with a hammer using all the recommended techniques, so I find a ball joint splitter handy.

Have to admit I just assumed that everyone has a 12-point socket in their toolkit, never gave it a thought that some might only have 6-sided sockets!

Ball joint splitter, yes I have one but why would you want one to remove a hub? TRE's stay where they are.