Back From Bosnia

keithjh

IMG_0428.jpg

Hi All,

Arrived back from Bosnia after another aid run with the Balkan Aid Relief Foundation (BARF), the convoy consisted of a 90, 110 CSW (from the Drive Africa Expedition) and my 110 Double Cab (was a V8 CSW now a 200Tdi) all towing fully loaded trailers the other two vehicles were a Frontera and a Toyota towing small lighter trailers. Still enough about inferior 4x4s ( Sorry Steve & Stuart).

We left Boston Lincs on Friday 28th Oct at 1200 eventually arriving in Dover 8 hrs later (stuck on M25 forever). Eventually on to ferry to calais drove into Belguim arrived 2am parked up for the night on the road at around 8am, through Belguim into Germany, overnight in southern Germany up early next morning through Germany into Austria and the alps, where trouble starts for the ex Drive Africa 110, overheating and the system is pressurising, we cool it off and set of again slowly hoping to get over the alps without it getting worse. so it hopefully could be sorted out in Bosnia where courtesy of the British Army we have full workshops available to use.

Not a bl--dy hope now in the high alps below 0 the head gasket has to be changed under a lamp in a lorry park. (at this point thanks to Stuart for freezing sat in the engine bay changing gasket, in fact a big thanks because i would have had to do it otherwise). Radiator is also furred up and partially blocked not a lot we can do about that at this time.

Anyway off again down the alps in Slovenia, very short 4 hours sleep then off again to Croatia then to the Bosnian Border post our worst nightmare, into customs yard at 10pm Monday night eventually got out of their at 1430hrs tuesday.

Arrived at the Banja Luka Metal Factory (BLMF) at about 1400hrs home this time to the Ghurka regiment who had been in Bosnia about 3 months, they were brilliant sorted out our accomadation food parking etc and most of all our passes to the Seargents Mess, food superb, beer even better and cheep. spent the next 3 days distributing medical and educational aid to the poorest schools and clinics.

We visited one school near the border with Croatia where the fighting was the severest to find athe school had been rebuilt by the UN and the Norwegian govenment in 1997, but had nothing inside or facilities for the staff and pupils, lovely building but no equipment. 80% of kids were from single parent families thats shows how severe the war was in that area, driving to the school you passed mile after mile of minefields and booby trapped buildings, the army told us it will take 70-80 years to clear the minefields.

Remember this is not some third world country in the back of beyond its 1400 miles from here (Doncaster).

Saturday morning time to leave for home, weather good plenty of fuel courtesy of the Army time for the long drag back at least with empty trailers the alps are not as bad, on some of the long hills in 3rd or even 2nd when fully loaded the gearbox gets a little warm to say the least.

No real problems coming back though the 110 is still running too hot for comfort, the wipers on the 90 pack up but fixed in 5 minutes, i lose my indicators at frankfurt, the hazard switch has gone tits up, got enough spares to nearly rebuild a 110 but not a spare switch anywhere, oh well just have to drive like the italians horn and push in!!.

Monday night Dover park up at Cambridge overnight, drive to Preston to return the trailer then back home to Doncaster in the afternoon.

Well thats it another 12 tons of aid delivered to where it was needed the most, now planning the next trip in the new year, February once again on the road to Bosnia though i think next time in the Range Rover as the weather will be -25 and the heater is better than the 110.

Total distance covered 3481 miles no major problems. 200Tdi performed superb averaged 24mpg with trailer and roof rack loaded.

So if any of you fancy doing something worthwhile and have 12 days to spare in either Feb or Oct next year let me know i can give you more information. It really is worthwhile as you know that what we take is going to where it is needed and not just stuck in some warehouse somewhere or sold of to finance guns or drugs.

Regards

Keith & Linda

I would like to do a trip like that, but i can't finance the the fuel bill :o being a student and probably can't get the time off college at those times of the year. But one day i would like to do a trip like that, maybe in a more fuel efficient land rover than mine is as don't think mine could manage 60 mph pulling 3.5 ton either :(

Sounds like it was a worthwhile trip

Jon

Nicely done guys, hats off.

Some guys from the ShireLRC did a similar trip a few years back now, when they went through customs they had to put sparky tape over the words "humanitarian" on the stickers on the vehicles because the customs guys would spot it and basically nick everything to sell on :( DH hid all the 1st aid kits under his dirty laundry, it's a brave man who ventures under there :lol:

Here be photos http://www.ep90.com/index.php?id=63 some rather stark stuff. Have you got any more photos, it'd be interesting to see how it compares 4 years later...

Did diggers frontera manage the trip with no problems and how is he doing???

Neil

Apart from leaking diesel into the engine it was not to bad, still an oil change a day cured that, not to good on hills though the Frontera not Digger!!.

Seriously Digger is not all that good as you probably know he suffers from MS and its starting to get him down and take its toll, but he will keep going as long as possible.

Keith