Consolidating cars

We've finally decided: 2 adults, 3 cars and a baby is not the right mix.

My wife will maintain her little run-around for town. We're going to sell the BMW M5 and the 90 will be swapped for a new Puma 110.

Everyone thinks I'm bonkers but that's the Land Rover bug for you. When we were discussing options, I assumed my wife would want to lose the 90 and have the Bimmer as the family car. However, she began by insisting that we would always have a Land Rover so what was the best way of doing it?

We looked at the Disco - very nice but just a bit too much money. FleaLander is a bit too soft for us at the moment and of course the 90 is no good as a family car (especially if we have 2 kids). So, final decision was the 110. I was initially looking for a low mileage TD5 but they're rarer than hen's teeth so we looked at the new one. I think we both fell for it immediately so that's the family car sorted for the next few years!

If any 07 owners want to chip in with real-world "don't do it" stories, now's your chance.

M5 was a fantastic car but somehow I'm much more excited about the Defender!

Alan

If any 07 owners want to chip in with real-world "don't do it" stories, now's your chance.

Alan

No point in "chipping in" then, as you have had a 90, so know, you will lose the refinement of the X5 !! (if it had any :D )

but the 07 is an improvement over your 90

When faced with a similar problem almost 2 years ago; but in reverse when I bought my 110 and we had to decide what my wife wanted to drive; she elected to take over my E-Class Estate.

It's very quick, very comfy for pootling in, very well-built, compliments the 110 and acts as a long-distance mile-muncher whenever we need one. Plus, it's big enough for her NOT to need my 110 for shopping trips.

So, if you can, keep the M5 and buy the 110. Or buy a 5-Series Estate with the Puma money.

Sounds like a sensible decision to me. I've been very impressed with my puma 90 and would have gone for a 110 if I had kids to transport.

They are still not car like for noise at speed. The engine may be quieter, but mechanical and wind noise will always be there and are part of the 'character' as you will know from your older 90.

I do find the puma easier to drive with lighter pedals and gearbox than the TD5, but if you are going for a top spec one a basic discovery is probably not that much more expensive than an XS CSW with more comfort.

I would recomend MJIbex on this forum if you are ordering one. He can save you £££ over the discount a dealer is prepared to give. He saved me about £1,000 when my dealer would not budge any more having dropped a reasonable amount already. :)

Richard

after having a 07 double cab from july and having it in the dealers for over seven weeks with the host of problems.

got it back to day after two weeks still love it but my money would go on the disco three

you can get a 6month to a year old s or gs auto from a main stealer for a bout £26500 with over two years warrenty left

when my defender was broken i had a hse disco 3 for five weeks and loved it. over the last two weeks i had a range rover TDV8

disco wins hands down

and don't forget its still a land rover

sorry

Appreciate the ideas folks.

I agree that the smart money would probably go on a second hand D3 - it's half way between luxurious family cruiser and utility vehicle, however, I think we're emotionally attached to the Defender.

I think we're going to play the Land Rover Lottery of quality and, chances are, drive a disco for some of the time whilst its being fixed :)

Appreciate the ideas folks.

I agree that the smart money would probably go on a second hand D3 - it's half way between luxurious family cruiser and utility vehicle, however, I think we're emotionally attached to the Defender.

I think we're going to play the Land Rover Lottery of quality and, chances are, drive a disco for some of the time whilst its being fixed :)

a little bird told me land rover fleet are dropping the last of TD5s in the next month so keep a eye on your local dealer

my local dealer had a 07 TD5 110 xs station wagon in silver ex land rover fleet with under 2k for about 24k last week

good luck

by the way when it breakes pay the £50 pounds damage waver to the rental firm took the range rover back and it had a little mark on the door would have cost me £500.00 so be carefull land rover pick up the cost of the hire

dan